Which "virtual screen" to open a remote app on.

Which "virtual screen" to open a remote app on.

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:04:48

Basically I am using sawfish, but also a bit of olvwm ( waiting to see
if it integrates with KDE/Gnome well ).

At times I am working in another room on a laptop remotely running
applications. For example I have a telnet session open to the machine
I'm working on, set DISPLAY to my laptop and start emacs.

The question I have  is this;
is there a way to specify that emacs ( or any other app ) whould open
on the fourth virtual window instead of the third?

Which "virtual screen" to open a remote app on.

Post by <ckurt.. » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:21:32

Quote:

> At times I am working in another room on a laptop remotely running
> applications. For example I have a telnet session open to the machine
> I'm working on, set DISPLAY to my laptop and start emacs.

> The question I have  is this;
> is there a way to specify that emacs ( or any other app ) whould open
> on the fourth virtual window instead of the third?

Try this:

export DISPLAY=a.b.c.d:0.x

on your xclient machine, where a.b.c.d is xhost machine ip and x is the
display number(0,1,2,3...)

hth

Cy Kurtz

--
No one can ever know for sure what a deserted area looks like.
                                              -- George Carlin

1. virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

Hi,

I have an embedded system, and my app is running and writes to console1
using simple printf().

I want to login using telnet and see some of my apps ouput.
How?

I cannot use writing to file, because I have a very small flashdisk,
AND it is mounted as RO for stability.

(I can also not send status through tcp/ip, because I must reduce cost of
GPRS connection)

I noticed the "screen" app, which does all I want, but my RH62 variant is
too big, i.e. uses too much lib's.
Anybody know where to get a smaller version?

Or maybe some of you know other solutions to achieve what I want?

--
Many regards,

Bonny Gijzen

2. Samba Hour 13 - Troubleshooting Techniques

4. X Newsreader for Slackware

6. comm/diff bug?

7. Guide to "X", "Open" and "Objects"

8. How to install scsi CDROM writer

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. looking for a free "to to list"/"scheduler" type app

11. installing "standalone" app on linux (maybe aka "[semi-] embedded" system)?

12. Virus Alert : "A Virtual Card for You" + "An Internet Flower For You"