Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem

Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem

Post by Norm Dresne » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=25
linear
verbose=3
disk=/dev/hda
        sectors=63
        heads=64
        cylinders=787
disk=/dev/hdb
        sectors=63
        heads=32
        cylinders=524
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        alias=rtlinux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        alias=msdos
        table=/dev/hda

The line that reads "linear" tells LILO to address the HD "linearly" and
forgo LBA addressing.  The two sections for the geometry of the two
different disks should be self-explanatory.  Most users can get the
information from their CMOS BIOS on bootup.

        Norm

1. lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.  So
far so good.

Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files that
had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
Older kernel and new kernel.

After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
/etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
still as an option runs fine.

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is no
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout="50"
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
        label="LinuxNew"
        root="/dev/hda4"
        read-only

(the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
image).

Any help appreciated,

Michael

2. ethernet adapter

3. How I solved my LILO problem ( 'LI then hangs')

4. /src/install.sh rw-r--r-- on cdrom??? (3.1)

5. LILO - solved the dreaded "LI" problem!

6. Scroll back buffer for consoles

7. Linux freezes when switching VC from X

8. LILO: lilo hangs after LI... Please help!

9. LILO "LI" solved

10. Lilo stops on LI

11. LILO trouble stops with LI

12. LILO stops loading at LI