Strange boot problem with linux... Any ideas?

Strange boot problem with linux... Any ideas?

Post by Mark Toll » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi, my friends linux machine just gave up on us! He's using lilo to boot
the kernel, and it get's to VFS mounting root (ext2 filesystem)
and stops... nothing else at all! We tried using boot disks to boot
it, and then the linux setup disks and re install lilo, and then
reinstall a new kernel image - nothing!

I booted a linux system off my Zip drive on his machine, and mounted his
linux partition - checked it, nothing wrong.... We could not solve the
problem, and ended up backing up his HDD and reinstalling - not the
best solution, but it worked.

I seem to recall having a similar problem when I moved my linux
system onto another partition of the HDD, but somehow I managed to
get it working again.

Jon had not done anything with the partitions of the HDD's before this
problem occurred.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this problem,
and if they have a solution to it (just in case it happens again).

Cheers,

Mark.

Post by Vincent Gog » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hi, my friends linux machine just gave up on us! He's using lilo to boot
>the kernel, and it get's to VFS mounting root (ext2 filesystem)
>and stops... nothing else at all! We tried using boot disks to boot
>it, and then the linux setup disks and re install lilo, and then
>reinstall a new kernel image - nothing!

.
.

Quote:

>Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this problem,
>and if they have a solution to it (just in case it happens again).

Yup, I had the same problem and I have also noticed similar complaints
in this newsgroup. I tried everything I could think of but still had
to reformat the partition and reinstall Linux. It is a strange problem
since the kernel appears to hang between mounting the root filesystem
(which passes e2fsck) and starting "init". Looking at the source didn't
give any clues so I could only guess that the partition was left in a
weird state that prevented "init" from being started. Very strange.

I hope this is kernel/software dependent (vs. a hardware problem). I am
going to upgrade from 1.2.13 to 2.0.13 in an attempt at avoiding a
repeat performance.

Vincent Gogan

Post by Geoff Sho » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: >Hi, my friends linux machine just gave up on us! He's using lilo to boot
: >the kernel, and it get's to VFS mounting root (ext2 filesystem)
: >and stops... nothing else at all! We tried using boot disks to boot
: >it, and then the linux setup disks and re install lilo, and then
: >reinstall a new kernel image - nothing!

: Yup, I had the same problem and I have also noticed similar complaints
: in this newsgroup. I tried everything I could think of but still had
: to reformat the partition and reinstall Linux. It is a strange problem
: since the kernel appears to hang between mounting the root filesystem
: (which passes e2fsck) and starting "init". Looking at the source didn't
: give any clues so I could only guess that the partition was left in a
: weird state that prevented "init" from being started. Very strange.

It sounds like it may have been /dev/console that got screwed up. (I
haven't seen it myself but I've heard of it happening.  I think if
you issue a shutdown from somewhere other than the console {ie a
telnet session or an xterm} then init assumes that's the console
now.  The point as which it freezes on boot is when the syslogd kicks
in and tried to print stuff to a now-nonexistant tty.)

Try booting from floppy and remaking /dev/console with the correct
device description:

crw--w--w-   1 root     root       4,   0 Sep  1 00:01 /dev/console

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Post by Vincent Gog » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: Yup, I had the same problem and I have also noticed similar complaints
>: in this newsgroup. I tried everything I could think of but still had
>: to reformat the partition and reinstall Linux. It is a strange problem
>: since the kernel appears to hang between mounting the root filesystem
>: (which passes e2fsck) and starting "init". Looking at the source didn't
>: give any clues so I could only guess that the partition was left in a
>: weird state that prevented "init" from being started. Very strange.

>It sounds like it may have been /dev/console that got screwed up. (I
>haven't seen it myself but I've heard of it happening.  I think if
>you issue a shutdown from somewhere other than the console {ie a
>telnet session or an xterm} then init assumes that's the console
>now.  The point as which it freezes on boot is when the syslogd kicks
>in and tried to print stuff to a now-nonexistant tty.)

.
.

Quote:>    Geoff

Thanks. This sounds like my situation. I am pretty sure that I shut
the system down from an X-Window.

Vincent

Post by Alain Ler » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: It sounds like it may have been /dev/console that got screwed up. (I

: Try booting from floppy and remaking /dev/console with the correct
: device description:

: crw--w--w-   1 root     root       4,   0 Sep  1 00:01 /dev/console

Great! It works!

I had the same problem and was wanderring around trying everything
I could without success, when I read this message and try it.
The minor number of /dev/console was set to 198 or something like
that.
I remember, I was under X-Window when I shut it down!

To fix it I booted with the boot/root diskettes and mounted the
hard drive and I  made up a new mknod with 4 and 0 for the console.

Thanks a lot.
- Alain Leroy     TELECOM Bretagne | Tel (33) 98 00 14 14                     -
- Departement Informatique         | Fax (33) 98 00 12 82   98 45 51 33       -
- Technopole de BREST-IROISE       |                                          -

-                                  | http://www-info.enst-bretagne.fr/~leroy  -

Post by Colin Smi » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>: Yup, I had the same problem and I have also noticed similar complaints
>>: in this newsgroup. I tried everything I could think of but still had
>>: to reformat the partition and reinstall Linux. It is a strange problem
>>: since the kernel appears to hang between mounting the root filesystem
>>: (which passes e2fsck) and starting "init". Looking at the source didn't
>>: give any clues so I could only guess that the partition was left in a
>>: weird state that prevented "init" from being started. Very strange.

It's /dev/console. Linux hasn't hung. If you telnet in, you'll see all the
console messages scroll by. The system will be running fine.

go to /dev and MAKEDEV console. You don't need to reinstall linux etc.
that's like taking a wrecking ball to crack a nut.

It worked for me. (It's happened twice to me. A bit of a pain till I figured
it out.)

--
Linux; 64bit, multi-platform, multi-tasking, multi-user and Free.
There once was a girl named Irene

My opinions are mine and not necessarily anyone else's.

1. Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...

Guys:

This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to
leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I
have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot
with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other
computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all
computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I
thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on
day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one
Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with
Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my
Router with new Router, samething.

CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine.
But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K
PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router.

I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with
cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine.

Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address,
all are Unique MAC's.

Thanks in advance.

2. E4K Server Failed to Bring-up ..

3. strange cdrom problem...Any Ideas?

4. apache 1.1.1 error

5. Strange Modem/Minicom Problem - Any Ideas!!

6. Cronjob for downloads

7. Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

8. Linux HD problem

9. Strange sound problem...any ideas?

10. Strange modem problem (not the usual) : ANY ideas welcome

11. Strange FTP problem reported by Mac user. Ideas?

12. Linux wont boot. Any ideas?

13. Strange idea