why doesn#t "set -o vi" enable vi style cmdln editing?

why doesn#t "set -o vi" enable vi style cmdln editing?

Post by bmla » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am running RH6.1 and want to use the vi style command line editing.
From the bash shell I entered

set -o vi

and I can the environment variable _ ist set to vi. However I the
retrieve key "esc K" for example would just echo another k on the
command line. It may be stupid to say, but it seems when I enter "set -o
vi" often enough, it does work eventually.

Anyone has clue why it is like that? "set -o emacs" does work
immediately.

Post by youn.. » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am running RH6.1 and want to use the vi style command line editing.
> From the bash shell I entered

> set -o vi

> and I can the environment variable _ ist set to vi. However I the
> retrieve key "esc K" for example would just echo another k on the
> command line. It may be stupid to say, but it seems when I enter "set -o
> vi" often enough, it does work eventually.

> Anyone has clue why it is like that? "set -o emacs" does work
> immediately.

change /etc/inputrc to contain only:

set editing-mode vi

1. Can I make tcsh "vi" bindings more like ksh "vi"?

I must now use tcsh, having used ksh for years.  The command line editor
in tcsh has a "vi" binding (like ksh), but seems to only use a few of
the "vi" commands.  Under ksh you can use most of the general vi
commands (".", etc).  Is there any way to make my tcsh vi binding more
like the ksh vi binding?  I already have "bind vi" and "setenv EDITOR
/bin/vi" set.  THANKS! -Jim Sowle

2. Format tape problem !!!

3. howto setup vi style cmdln editing with bash

4. remote login as root ??

5. bash : "set -o emacs" and "set -o vi"

6. Printing Problems

7. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

8. Walmart says...

9. Bash "set -o vi" in .bashrc not working

10. bash, "set -o vi" and prompt

11. Where do you put "set -o vi" ?

12. "set -o vi" in CDE help