Too many symbolic links error?!?

Post by Matt Hughe » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

    Hello! I've recently setup a Linux system, and I'm lacking what's
probably fairly common knowlege. My problem is that when I try to run a
man page, say "man ln", I don't get any output. If I look at the geqn,
gtroff, g*... program in the usr/bin directory, some are red. If I try
to run say genq, I get an error: "Too many symbolic links." I've tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the gtroff package from the slakware
sources, and I noticed that as the install when along, the files would
appear fine and then appear red a little later. (Virtual consoles, and
repeted ls's).

    What can I do to fix this problem? Any thoughts? I would appreciate
e-mail as well as a posting. Thanks in advance.

Matt Hughes

Too many symbolic links error?!?

Post by Fedor Bromso » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

First off, know that there are many different User Interfaces for
Linux and most of us may not know what you mean by "some are red".
I don't.

"too many symbolic links" usually is caused by a soft link
(ln -s src dst) that points to itself or a chain of links
which form a loop.  Do a "ls -l" on the files involved and
each file pointed to by a link. Look for a loop and fix it.

Post by Jay T » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> My problem is that when I try to run a
> man page, say "man ln", I don't get any output. If I look at the geqn,
> gtroff, g*... program in the usr/bin directory, some are red. If I try
> to run say genq, I get an error: "Too many symbolic links."

That appears to be due to a symbolic link loop, that is, a symbolic link
that points to another symbolic link, that points to another, and to
another, etc., and finally back to one that is previous to it in the
chain.  The system keeps track of how many links it has been seen, and
if it is more than a set number, it will bomb out and complain.

Here is a simple example:

[tmp]$ ln -s link1 link1
[tmp]$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 jay      jay             5 Aug  9 11:03 link1 -> link1
[tmp]$ cat link1
cat: link1: Too many levels of symbolic links
[tmp]$

- Jay Ts

--
Click on http://www.kachina.net/~jay to find out about
Linux Consulting, Web Design and Programming Services.

To be o' not t'be, dat be de bottom line.  What it is, Mama!
        - output of 'fortune | jive'

1. Too many symbolic links error

My X11 directory is a link to X11R6, but when I try to CD to it, I get
the above error message.  What is causing it?  How do I cure it?

Thanks,

     <<  Mark  >>
                ___
              __HHH__
               (0 0)
  ---------oOO--\_/--OOo---------------------------------------------------
  |   Mark Neidorff                   |  "Don't just stand there.         |

  |   Just Answers!                   |   James T. Kirk - S.T. - V        |
  | Computer Systems Solutions        |                                   |

2. APACHE CACHING PROXY SERVER ODDITY!

3. symbolic linking errors

4. DIP-3.3.7n released

5. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

6. GTK App vanishes before my very eyes

7. Apache1.3.0 error: [error] Symbolic link not allowed: /usr/local/jdk/

8. Samba namequery error

9. gcc/g++ error - too many symbolic links

10. Apache1.3.0: [error] Symbolic link not allowed

11. Symbolic Link in Virtual Server Error - 403

12. What to do with "too many levels of symbolic link" error ?

13. Error with tar : Symbolic Link too long