IPC: POSIX signals limited to 32 under Linux?

IPC: POSIX signals limited to 32 under Linux?

Post by Esmail Bonakdari » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am porting an application from the SGI to my linux box (2.0.30). I
am trying to use the POSIX signal handling routines.

I have a couple of processes running at different speeds that need to
be synchronized periodically.

The SGI code successfully defines and uses several user-defined
signals (e.g., #define END_INIT 40) with the POSIX functions for
process synchronization.  On Linux this signal isn't regcognized.
(There are a number of different processes so using SIGUSR1/2 won't be
enough).

Is there a limit as to the max value of signals under Linux? Can it be
changed upward?

If not, I may have to re-do the sync code - is there an advantage to
using signals over semaphores or vice versa?

Finally, if there is a good book that addreses the pros/cons of this
I'd like to know as well. I have the Gray book on IPC.

Thanks a bunch.

Esmail
PS: Please also mail me directly - thanks.
--
----

1. ** POSIX signals limited to 32 signals?

I am porting an application from the SGI to my linux box (2.0.30). I
am trying to use the POSIX signal handling routines.

The SGI code successfully defines and uses a user-defined signal
(#define END_INIT 40) with the POSIX functions for process
synchronization.  On Linux this signal isn't regcognized. (There are a
number of different processes so using SIGUSR1/2 won't be enough).

Is there a limit as to the max value of signals under Linux? Can it be
changed upward?

Thanks,

Esmail
PS: Please also mail me directly - thanks.

--
Esmail
----

2. Advanced Solaris Users: Workings of Solaris?

3. /var/named/named.hosts file layout

4. Posix.1b IPC and SysV IPC

5. Memory Blooming/G3 LinuxPPC R5

6. linux and the 32 GB limit?

7. mac Picasso

8. IPC with 2.0.30,31,32,33???

9. 2.0.32, POSIX locking, LinuxThreads

10. Notes on Unix/POSIX under Windows 32

11. 32 groups per user limit

12. Device driver and 2GB limit (32 vs. 64 Bit)