Hard/Software DVD-Rom support

Post by Dan Geis » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello, all,
        I was reading a PC Computing magazine earlier today at the local
bookstore and came across a story on DVD-Rom drives finally being
released. A couple different manufacturers are selling DOLBY/MP-2 boards
along with their normal SCSI DVD drives for the video and surround
processing. My question is this: does anyone know what's nedded, if
anything, to get a DVD-Rom to work with the normal CD-Rom Linux kernel
support?
        Also, is anyone aware of anyone working to develop any sofware for
this new technology as far as players, drivers, etc...?
        If there is not current work in the field, would anyone be
interested
in establishing a group to work on the coding of such sofware with the
blessings of Toshiba, STB, Panasonic, Creative Labs, Linux Doc Proj.,
etc....?

Let me know.

____________________________________
Dan Geist

http://geist.gt.ed.net

1. Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

3-Mar-99 (2:50 AM)

I have to replace my PCs internal CD-ROM drive.  My hard disk drives are
SCSI-2 based.

I'm considering replacing it with either a SCSI 40X CD-ROM drive, or some type
of DVD drive (preferably SCSI-based).

Searching the FreeBSD web site yielded no notable mentions for DVD support,
only support for CD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.  The FreeBSD Mall (
http://www.freebsdmall.com/products/ ) mentions they are considering the sale
of FreeBSD on DVD (as opposed to four CD-ROMs).

Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM drives (IDE and/or SCSI)?

Does FreeBSD support DVD-RAM drives (IDE and/or SCSI)?

Does FreeBSD support any of the DVD MPEG-2 decoder cards?

If so, what brands/models of DVD drives and decoder cards are supported, and
where do I find the drivers for them?  I didn't find anything in the Handbook,
Applications, or Ports - did I miss them?

If not, when does the FreeBSD team anticipate having the drivers in place
(e.g. version 3.2)?

Thanks in advance,
Larry Alan Smith
Beaverton, OR, USA

2. courier-imap run scripts

3. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

4. Lin + Win: page faults on soft reboot

5. LS120 mega floppy and DVD-rom support

6. Running A.OUT (libc.so.4) programs under RH 6.x - it works, but I have a question

7. dvd-rom support?

8. Funny linux sentence...

9. Need a recomendations for Supported DVD-ROM and CD-RW in Redhat Distributions

10. DVD-ROM drive support?

11. DVD-ROM drive support ?

12. Can Linux support DVD-ROM drives ?

13. Help! DVD-ROM Support in Linux?!?