common SunOS/Linux filesystem?

Post by Allen M » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  I use a Sun Sparcstation running SunOS 4.1.4 at work and a Linux
laptop at home.  I am thinking of getting a SCSI device such as
a Zip drive, an Magneto-optical HD or just an external HD so that I
can transfer large files, eg various GNU distributions, from the
Sparcstation, which is on the internet, to my laptop, which is not
on the internet.  Is there a common filesystem I could use which would
be mountable from both a Sparc and Linux machine?  For example, for
small things, I can use a floppy and the dos file system.

- Allen Moy

Post by Daniel Quinl » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I use a Sun Sparcstation running SunOS 4.1.4 at work and a Linux
> laptop at home.  I am thinking of getting a SCSI device such as a
> Zip drive, an Magneto-optical HD or just an external HD so that I
> can transfer large files, eg various GNU distributions, from the
> Sparcstation, which is on the internet, to my laptop, which is not
> on the internet.  Is there a common filesystem I could use which
> would be mountable from both a Sparc and Linux machine?  For
> example, for small things, I can use a floppy and the dos file
> system.

Well, possible options are:

 * NFS
 * msdos filesystem, but you only get 8.3 filenames
 * The experimental UFS filesystem for Linux in /pub/Linux/ALPHA/ufs on
   Sunsite and its mirrors.
 * `tar', `cpio', or `dump' archives, which aren't mountable, but
   definitely usable

Dan
--
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom

Post by Alain Kna » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: > I use a Sun Sparcstation running SunOS 4.1.4 at work and a Linux
: > laptop at home.  I am thinking of getting a SCSI device such as a
: > Zip drive, an Magneto-optical HD or just an external HD so that I
: > can transfer large files, eg various GNU distributions, from the
: > Sparcstation, which is on the internet, to my laptop, which is not
: > on the internet.  Is there a common filesystem I could use which
: > would be mountable from both a Sparc and Linux machine?  For
: > example, for small things, I can use a floppy and the dos file
: > system.

: Well, possible options are:

:  * NFS
  On a physical disk?

:  * msdos filesystem, but you only get 8.3 filenames
:  * The experimental UFS filesystem for Linux in /pub/Linux/ALPHA/ufs on
:    Sunsite and its mirrors.
:  * `tar', `cpio', or `dump' archives, which aren't mountable, but
:    definitely usable

: Dan
: --
: Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom

--
 Alain

1. common SunOS/Linux filesystem?

  I use a Sun Sparcstation running SunOS 4.1.4 at work and a Linux
laptop at home.  I am thinking of getting a SCSI device such as
a Zip drive, an Magneto-optical HD or just an external HD so that I
can transfer large files, eg various GNU distributions, from the
Sparcstation, which is on the internet, to my laptop, which is not
on the internet.  Is there a common filesystem I could use which would
be mountable from both a Sparc and Linux machine?  For example, for
small things, I can use a floppy and the dos file system.

- Allen Moy

2. tcsh 'ps' problem.

3. filesystem in common with Digital Unix and Linux?

4. problem with shutdown/user login

5. Filesystem common to MacOSX and Linux BESIDES HFS?

6. Help w//sbin/rcS

7. Linux Common Configuration File Format -- use the filesystem!

8. Software to convert postscript >gif,etc

9. Common Linux and HP-UX filesystem

10. Are SunOS 4 and SunOS 5 filesystems compatible?

11. Q: SunOS 4.1.4 vs. SunOS 5.5.1 Filesystem

12. SunOS filesystem supported by Linux kernel?

13. Reading SunOS filesystems using Linux??