Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

Post by Brian L. Hee » Mon, 29 Nov 1993 09:53:04

Is it possible to have both co-exist and be able to switch between booting
DOS and Linux?

I know there has got to be a way, since I have done it with OS/2.  Maybe I
should just install boot manager (OS/2)?

I thought that maybe I could not use the BIOS on the Adaptec and just boot
the Linux floppy so that it would load the Adaptec driver and find the
card, but, that just wrote "LI" on the screen and died.

I have a tape drive on the SCSI bus as well, which I use under DOS, but, I
do NOT need the BIOS at all, and would love it if I could leave it disabled.

Any ideas?

-Brian
--
                  Brian L. Heess, Los Angeles, CA, USA
                      ex-Xircom Network Engineer

"That's like having a little fun with a defective blow-torch!" - Clarissa

Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

Post by Brian L. Hee » Mon, 29 Nov 1993 17:25:37

Quote:>Is it possible to have both co-exist and be able to switch between booting
>DOS and Linux?

>I know there has got to be a way, since I have done it with OS/2.  Maybe I
>should just install boot manager (OS/2)?

Well, hell!  I figured it out myself!

Quote:>I thought that maybe I could not use the BIOS on the Adaptec and just boot
>the Linux floppy so that it would load the Adaptec driver and find the
>card, but, that just wrote "LI" on the screen and died.

>I have a tape drive on the SCSI bus as well, which I use under DOS, but, I
>do NOT need the BIOS at all, and would love it if I could leave it disabled.

>Any ideas?

I finally made sure all was conected properly again, and booted the floppy
for Linux (Slackware) and everything works perfectly.  In fact, I am using
it now.

Only things I am working on now are getting to the D: (of C:, D: & E:) dos
partition on the drive on the primary adapter (WD1007).  I am just
extremely happy that I do not have to use the BIOS on the Adaptec!!!!
This saves/allows more loadhi (QEMM) space when I boot dos, and I can use
my tape drive from software that knows how to get to the Adaptec.

Now, to get my serial MS Mouse to work, and the SoundBlaster Pro and it's
CD-ROM...

-Brian
--
                  Brian L. Heess, Los Angeles, CA, USA
                      ex-Xircom Network Engineer

"That's like having a little fun with a defective blow-torch!" - Clarissa

1. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)
i have 10G removable hard drives
i am trying to put a file system on it to allow access by both linux and
NT
linux won't mount an ntfs file system
the NT person put 4 primary (?) dos partitions on the disk
and if i run fdisk in linux it sees 4 FAT16 partitions
but it will only let me mount the first one

how do i mount the other 3 ?

is there some special way the disk needs to be formated by NT ?

thanks for any help,
dan

2. HELP: ext2 root partition unrecognizable

3. How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

4. Gnome and GTK+ Themes

5. Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

6. i810 3D Xfree86 driver status

7. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

8. printing in solaris 2.6

9. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition

10. DOS partition/Linux partition question

11. Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

12. cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition

13. Changing DOS partition to Linux partition