Having trouble getting linux box on network

Having trouble getting linux box on network

Post by Patrick Purd » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I'm running slackware 3.0 and for the past few weeks I've been trying to
get my machine hooked up on my university's network.  I have a 3c509
card, the kernel was recompiled to support it and IP/TCP networking, I've
added the appropriate IP addresses to the rd.inet files, and the routing
table appears to be set-up properly (as evidenced by output from route
-n).  When I attempt to ping addresses on the local network, I get no
response--I can only ping myself.  Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

--Patrick Purdon
New Linux User

Having trouble getting linux box on network

Post by purdon%scws41.harvard.edu%f41.n10 » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Post by Patrick Purd » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Are you able to ping IP addresses, but not fully qualified host names?
>If this is the case, you just need to set up DNS on your machine in
>/etc/host.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.
>Perry

I can't ping the IP addresses, let alone the qualified host names.  Any
ideas?  Thanks.

--Patrick