User read/write access to Windoze partition?

User read/write access to Windoze partition?

Section 4.10.1 on my web-page (the sig below)

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://home.germany.net/101/69082/samba.html

User read/write access to Windoze partition?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I set this up so the Win95 partition is mounted at boot
>time and everyone gets read/write access?

Add "umask=0" to the options of the partition(s) in fstab. Everybody will
be able to read/write to the partition.

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Post by M.P.Wrangha » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 for a friend to start weaning him
> off of Winblows 95.  He'd like to have access to his old files through
> Linux, particularly his Microshaft Word files using WordPerfect or
> StarOffice.

> So, I set up /etc/fstab to mount the Win95 partition to /mnt/Win95,
> modelling the fstab entry after the one for the Linux root filesystem
> (substituting "vfat" for "ext2").  It works, but only allows read/write
> access from the root account -- normal users get read-only.

> How can I set this up so the Win95 partition is mounted at boot
> time and everyone gets read/write access?

> --
>   Roger Blake
>   (remove second "g" from address for email)

Try this

/dev/hda1  /mnt/win  vfat  user,rw 0 0

or this

/dev/hda1  /mnt/win  fat32  user,rw 0 0

Post by Miller » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Section 4.10.1 on my web-page (the sig below)

> > I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 for a friend to start weaning him
> > off of Winblows 95.  He'd like to have access to his old files through
> > Linux, particularly his Microshaft Word files using WordPerfect or
> > StarOffice.

> > So, I set up /etc/fstab to mount the Win95 partition to /mnt/Win95,
> > modelling the fstab entry after the one for the Linux root filesystem
> > (substituting "vfat" for "ext2").  It works, but only allows read/write
> > access from the root account -- normal users get read-only.

> > How can I set this up so the Win95 partition is mounted at boot
> > time and everyone gets read/write access?

> > --
> >   Roger Blake
> >   (remove second "g" from address for email)

> --
> Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
>         http://home.germany.net/101/69082/samba.html
> Simple Samba Solutions web page.                            ICQ 1722461

I don't want to mount on fat 16, is there an alternative command?

--
Palm Beach County Truancy Interdiction Program
Mission Bay (Boca Raton) (561) 483-4123

User read/write access to Windoze partition?

Post by Richard Watso » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: User read/write access to Windoze partition?:

> > Section 4.10.1 on my web-page (the sig below)

> > > I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 for a friend to start weaning
him
> > > off of Winblows 95.  He'd like to have access to his old files through
> > > Linux, particularly his Microshaft Word files using WordPerfect or
> > > StarOffice.

> > > So, I set up /etc/fstab to mount the Win95 partition to /mnt/Win95,
> > > modelling the fstab entry after the one for the Linux root filesystem
> > > (substituting "vfat" for "ext2").  It works, but only allows
read/write
> > > access from the root account -- normal users get read-only.

> > > How can I set this up so the Win95 partition is mounted at boot
> > > time and everyone gets read/write access?
> I don't want to mount on fat 16, is there an alternative command?

You can choose the filesystem type from a wide range including ext2,
msdos, vfat,  and umsdos.

Do "man mount" for all the options.

Rich.