Printer & term & networking

Post by Phil Goe » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have two Linux kernels on my machine.  One has networking, and other
stuff, and is too big to run comfortably.  The other is bare bones,
no network options.

I don't need to use PPP or SLIP, so I shouldn't need networking, right?
But when I try to use term with the bare kernel, I get errors saying
it doesn't know what a socket is.  Also, I can't use my printer.

Is there some way for me to use my printer and the term program
without configuring the kernel for networking?

Thanks,

Printer & term & networking

Post by Byron A Je » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

-I have two Linux kernels on my machine.  One has networking, and other
-stuff, and is too big to run comfortably.  The other is bare bones,
-no network options.
-
-I don't need to use PPP or SLIP, so I shouldn't need networking, right?

Um. Not exactly!

-But when I try to use term with the bare kernel, I get errors saying
-it doesn't know what a socket is.  Also, I can't use my printer.
-
-Is there some way for me to use my printer and the term program
-without configuring the kernel for networking?

In a word: no.

See networking isn't simply communications between two or more machines.
It is also the same mechanism used for applications on the same machine
to talk to one another. So lpr uses a socket to talk to the printer
daemon for example.

So you need networking because it's integrated into basic services like
mail, printing, and yes term.

Also check out the thread "Netscape under TERM". I talk about Slirp
there which I think is better than TERM. It'll also give you a reason
to add networking to your setup.

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Printer & term & networking

Post by du.. » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

 > -I have two Linux kernels on my machine.  One has networking, and other
 > -stuff, and is too big to run comfortably.  The other is bare bones,
 > -no network options.
 > -
 > -I don't need to use PPP or SLIP, so I shouldn't need networking, right?
 >
 > Um. Not exactly!
 >
 > -But when I try to use term with the bare kernel, I get errors saying
 > -it doesn't know what a socket is.  Also, I can't use my printer.
 > -
 > -Is there some way for me to use my printer and the term program
 > -without configuring the kernel for networking?
 >
 > In a word: no.
 >
 > BAJ
 > --
 > Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
 > Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

I had to recompile reconfigure my kernel to not use the parallel port as a
network connection.  But I turned on everything else (TCP/IP, SLIP, PPP,
etc.) and my printer works fine and term works wonderfully.

---