where is the mail kept (temporarily?)

Post by a use » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:46:45

I had a problem with my mail in that the mail log showed that there was
a problem with my aliases.db with the error msg:
        daemon could not open control socket /var/run/sendmail/control:
        World writable directory

and
        sendmail[613]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot create database
                       for alias file /etc/aliases

etc...

Got it fixed by "newaliases".

The question is that my msgs for 2 days were NOT LOST and were NOT in my
"user" spool directory, e.g. /var/spool/mail/"user".....

After the fix I got ALL the mail that was retrieved but could not access
or be found (pine doesn't see the msgs) as the msgs were not in the mail
spool.    So where were the msgs kept???????  Not critical but kinda
of nice to know...

--

where is the mail kept (temporarily?)

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:21:53

Quote:> I had a problem with my mail in that the mail log showed that
> there was a problem with my aliases.db with the error msg:
> daemon could not open control socket /var/run/sendmail/control:
>         World writable directory

> and
> sendmail[613]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot create database
>                        for alias file /etc/aliases

> etc...

> Got it fixed by "newaliases".

> The question is that my msgs for 2 days were NOT LOST and were NOT
> in my "user" spool directory, e.g. /var/spool/mail/"user".....

> After the fix I got ALL the mail that was retrieved but could not
> access or be found (pine doesn't see the msgs) as the msgs were
> not in the mail
> spool.    So where were the msgs kept???????  Not critical but
> kinda of nice to know...

Mostly in /var/spool/mqueue.

Michael Heiming
--