***HELP! Fail to kill process during system shutdown

***HELP! Fail to kill process during system shutdown

Post by kaho » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

    When I type "init 6" or select "reboot/halt" from the login screen
for shutdown, the system fail to stop all the process (named, sendmail,
httpd ...etc), I have try to restart some process manually(e.g.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart), I can make surely that the process is
killed, but the system can't return a true to the script, it show up a
messages as bwlow :

Shutting down named: kill: (1415) - No such pid
                                                    [FAILED]
Starting named:                                     [  OK  ]

But I have check the pid for named before kill, it's 1415, when the
above process finish, pid 1415 is gone.

Can anybody help me to fix this problem ?

Thanks for your kindly attention and help

kaho

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

]Hi all,

]    When I type "init 6" or select "reboot/halt" from the login screen
]for shutdown, the system fail to stop all the process (named, sendmail,

Sometimes it fails to kill a service because the service does not exists
(eg it died already or was never started.)

]httpd ...etc), I have try to restart some process manually(e.g.
]/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart), I can make surely that the process is

What does this mean? Does your reboot occur, or does the reboot get
abandoned as well?

]killed, but the system can't return a true to the script, it show up a
]messages as bwlow :

]Shutting down named: kill: (1415) - No such pid
]                                                    [FAILED]
]Starting named:                                     [  OK  ]

It failed to kill it because it did not exist ( or died between the time
it was checked and the kill was tried.)

]But I have check the pid for named before kill, it's 1415, when the
]above process finish, pid 1415 is gone.

***HELP! Fail to kill process during system shutdown

Post by Manuel Meinersman » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

hi, a german has two problems
1. my english is not so good
2. i need a linux-driver for an Adlib Jetscan630!!

can anybody tell me where i can find it????
thanks manuel

Post by Andreas Kretschme » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> hi, a german has two problems
> 1. my english is not so good
> 2. i need a linux-driver for an Adlib Jetscan630!!

I'm too a german ;-)

Please look at www.suse.de, <so, und nun in deutsch>
die ist deutsch und dort gibt's eine Hardwaredatenbank.
Du solltest auch mal in die .infos - Gruppe reinschauen.

Andreas

--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Untersttzung eines frei-
laufenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung.  Er ist garantiert

1. Q: Unmount hangs during system shutdown, please help.

Hi Folks,

I've got a annoying problem with my linux box. During the last phase of system
shutdown my system hangs while unmounting the disk partitions. When this happens
I can reactivate the system a little by pressing cntr-alt-del -> then the kill-
all-processes and mdrecvery part of the shutdown process is repeated and then: it
hangs again while trying to unmount. Then, the only thing I can do is switching
of the power or doing a hard-reset.

This started suddenly a couple of weeks after installing an new linux
distribution. The first weeks I ran without trouble. It's especially annoying,
because my disk partitions are not cleanly unmounted, so there is a fscheck every
time when booting-up. And that takes unneccesary time.

Only if I shutdown the system almost immediately after booting the unmount
process does NOT hang, so the problem seems to be correlated with the past system
activity while being up.

I've installed the Redhat 6.2 distribution (Kernel version 2.2.14 (or 16??) I
forgot and cannot look it up at the moment). My linux box is a stand-alone
system, without any nfs-mounted partitions.

I've been looking in google and tried a solution proposed before for similar
problems:
Remounting the partitions in read-only mode. This did NOT  give the expected
workaround. Then, I tried to unmount the  partitions one-by-one, with the root
partition as the last, instead of all partitions at once ("umount -a"). This also
leads to a hanging system when unmounting the first partition ("umount -v -r -f
/<partition-to-be-unmounted>"). All these modifications are made in the /etc/rc.
d/init.d/halt-script

Who can help me, what can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Joost
News suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://newsgroups.web.de

2. Enterprise Systems Monitoring Tools

3. How can kill all child processes without killing parent process ?

4. services

5. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

6. using find

7. How to kill process which not killed by 'kill' ?

8. Scanning error messages from ANSIC C++ compiler on HP-UX (with emacs)

9. message during the shutdown process

10. Help: kill sub-process after parent killed

11. Is it possibile create a core file during the execution of a process without kill it ?

12. NOT killing processes during logout

13. How to Kill Process and Its sub-process and its sub-process??