login over network while booted from cdrom

login over network while booted from cdrom

Post by Joer » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:12:06

Hi,
is ist possible to login into a SUN over the network while the
maschine is booted from CDROM ?
I was able to configure the nic, create a user, and to start the
inetd, but i still couldnt login over the net whith telnet.
The error message from my telnet client was something like "connection
rejected"
If someone has come across this issue before please let me know...

Thanks much,
Joern

Post by Neil W Ricker » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:25:45

>is ist possible to login into a SUN over the network while the
>maschine is booted from CDROM ?
>I was able to configure the nic, create a user, and to start the
>inetd, but i still couldnt login over the net whith telnet.
>The error message from my telnet client was something like "connection
>rejected"
>If someone has come across this issue before please let me know...

The cdrom boot is not listening on telnet/rsh/rlogin ports.

You would have to start a listener process at the console before
this could be possible.

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:52:07

> Hi,
> is ist possible to login into a SUN over the network while the
> maschine is booted from CDROM ?
> I was able to configure the nic, create a user, and to start the
> inetd, but i still couldnt login over the net whith telnet.
> The error message from my telnet client was something like "connection
> rejected"
> If someone has come across this issue before please let me know...

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd try to run rpc start and inetsvc start.
Also if you're on a subnet, you'll want to create a route to your
default gateway.

However, you won't be able to telnet in as root, and I'm guessing that
/etc/passwd and /etc/default/login are both read-only when booted from
cdrom.  You can probably ftp though, or telnet out.

1. Press Ctrl-D whiling inputting

I write a program:

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
   char str[81];
   while(1)
   {
      gets(str);
      printf("You input: %s\n",str);
   }

My question is why it causes infinitely loop after I press Ctrl-D.
Is there any solution about this?  Thanks.

    / \   Trying to maintain a good friendship with all people   / \
   /   + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -/ - +

+------------------------------------------------------------+   /
 \ /Home Page: http://susis.ust.hk/~enoch                     \ /

2. Which Distro

3. boot on another SUNS' cdrom true the network

4. smail configuration - please help!!!

5. Need help on partition recovery without CDROM or Network Boot available.

6. Solution with XFree86 and Trio 64v2GX 86c785

7. Boot up in single user mode with installation CDROM and enable the network connection

8. priority paging and executable bit question

9. Booting from network cdrom?

10. How to configure network interface in "boot -s cdrom"

11. Network connectivity when booting from CDROM

12. Booting over the network from CDROM

13. cdrom install locks on boot when trying to detect cdrom