help: won't create home directories in /home

help: won't create home directories in /home

Post by Jason Burne » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

hi

i'm having this problem, as well as 2 friends who also just
installed solaris 2.5.  when we run admintool, and try to
add a user account, it says error:  could not create users
home directory.  however, it will work if you specify the
home directory someone besides /home.

i've installed it 3 times (not for this problem), and it
does the same thing each time.  anyone know what's going on?

If i do a 'df -k', it shows that it's mounting my home partition
on /export/home.  furthermore, if i check out the /home directory
in file manager, it says 'undefined'.

anyone have a clue?

** TIP# 696            ** http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jason**
**  "Yeah, I've said it before.....                          **
**            Light moves pretty fast.                       **
**                                     - unknown             **

: ***************************************************************

: ** TIP# 696            ** http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jason**
: ***************************************************************
: **  "Yeah, I've said it before.....                          **
: **            Light moves pretty fast.                       **
: **                                     - unknown             **
: ***************************************************************
Hi,

Try making /usr/home (or whatever). Also man amd.

Chris

help: won't create home directories in /home

Post by Neil Waybrig » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

Read the NFS auto_home documentation.  /home is a pseudo filesystem
intended as the auto_home indirect mount point.
Neil

Post by Fady Jean-Franco » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

hi

i'm having this problem, as well as 2 friends who also just
installed solaris 2.5.  when we run admintool, and try to
add a user account, it says error:  could not create users
home directory.  however, it will work if you specify the
home directory someone besides /home.

i've installed it 3 times (not for this problem), and it
does the same thing each time.  anyone know what's going on?

If i do a 'df -k', it shows that it's mounting my home partition
on /export/home.  furthermore, if i check out the /home directory
in file manager, it says 'undefined'.

anyone have a clue?

Hi,
 Try using useradd (man useradd) instead of admintool.

JF.

Post by Noah Whit » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

> hi

> i'm having this problem, as well as 2 friends who also just
> installed solaris 2.5.  when we run admintool, and try to
> add a user account, it says error:  could not create users
> home directory.  however, it will work if you specify the
> home directory someone besides /home.

[snip]

> anyone have a clue?

> Hi,
>  Try using useradd (man useradd) instead of admintool.

> JF.

/home is an automount 'hot point' by default.  If you want to start
creating directories under /home manually (which is what is happening
w/Admintool) you need to either disable the mount point by commenting
out the /home entry in /etc/auto_master and restarting the automounter
or use the auto_home map provided.  Read up on the automounter man pages
for more details on these maps.

-Noah

help: won't create home directories in /home

Post by Michael McKnigh » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

Create your home directories in /export/home/<username>.  The /home
filesystem is reserved for the automounter.  When you users try to
access their home directories, they will use /home/<username>.

You can see this if you do a "df -k" at one point in time, log in as
another user and then do a "df -k" again... you will see the new mount
points.  These mount points should disappear 5-10 minutes after the user
stops using his/her home directory.

If you want to disable the automounter, simply rename /etc/auto_master
to /etc/auto_master.original (or whatever).  Then kill the automountd
process.

I'd recommend that you leave the automounter running and follow the
/export/home structure... it could come in quite handy if you ever have
to mount home directories somewhere else.

If automounter is running, do not try to do anything directly to the
/home filesystem.

Good luck!