zones - problem with configuring another, new zone

zones - problem with configuring another, new zone

Post by Przemek Ba » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:11:43

Hello,

sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
network:

  Host Name for hme0:4

  Enter the host name which identifies this system on the network.  The name
  must be unique within your domain; creating a duplicate host name will cause
  problems on the network after you install Solaris.

  A host name must be at least two characters; it can contain letters, digits,
  and minus signs (-).

    Host name for hme0:4 3000

    Esc-2_Continue    Esc-6_Help

 we get:

  Confirm Information for hme0:4

  > Confirm the following information.  If it is correct, press F2;
    to change any information, press F4.

    Networked: Yes
    Host name: 3000

  Just a moment...

Assertion failed: have_min_net_info(nc) == TRUE, file main.c, line 1468

Below is configuration for the zone:
bash-3.00# zonecfg -z 3000
zonecfg:3000> info
zonepath: /zones/3000
autoboot: true
pool:
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /lib
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /platform
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /usr
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /sbin
fs:
        dir: /usr/local
        special: /zones/local/3000
        raw not specified
        type: lofs
net:
        address: 192.168.220.252/24
        physical: hme0
zonecfg:3000>

Does anybody know what is wrong ?

przemol

Post by Przemek Ba » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:50:30

>  Hello,

>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>  network:

When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it works.
Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?
Bug ?

przemol

Post by John Smit » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 09:09:24

>>  Hello,

>>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>>  network:

> When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it works.
> Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?
> Bug ?

> przemol

Can a solaris host name contain a ":"?

Post by John Smit » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 09:15:49

>>>  Hello,

>>>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>>>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>>>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>>>  network:

>> When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it
>> works.
>> Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?
>> Bug ?

>> przemol

> Can a solaris host name contain a ":"?

Forget that, looking at the wrong thing.

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:24:09

>>>  Hello,

>>>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>>>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>>>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>>>  network:

>> When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it works.
>> Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?
>> Bug ?

>> przemol
>Can a solaris host name contain a ":"?

No; hostnames cannot contain ":"

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:25:17

>>  Hello,

>>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>>  network:
>When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it works.
>Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?

Hostnames cannot be all numeric.

Post by Colin B » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:12:31

>>  Hello,

>>  sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
>>  local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
>>  and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
>>  network:

> When I have changed zone name to 'array3' and recreated it again - it works.
> Does it mean that zone name cannot be a number ?
> Bug ?

Historically, hostnames couldn't begin with a number or special character.
This might be the problem.

1. Configuring packages from zone to zone

How does one install software/packages in a zone? Particularly in
/usr/local when that filesystem is read-only?

I wanted my zone to have a samba instance, so I installed sun freeware
samba (and dependant packages) in the global zone, they were installed
to my non-global zone by default, but when I went to edit my smb.conf
in my non-global zone - it was a read-only filesystem!

Since a lot of software requires conf files, that will be different
from zone to zone, what is the best way to deal w/ this?

For non-global zones, is it best to compile source for software needing
separate configuration, installing it to a pseudo /usr/local - e.g. a
writable fs? Or is there some method to isolate packages (or just their
conf files) from one zone to the next?

Thanks,
s7

2. CDROM HOPES

3. Creating a "zone" from another "zone" (from another "zone" (from another "zone" )) ...

4. Sorry, I'm running BSDI 3.1

5. Advice sought: global zone pkgs vs. local zone pkgs

6. hanging solaris

7. Zones within a Zone?

8. Developing and Testing a Complete "Hello World" J2EE Application with IBM's WSAD for Linux

9. zone file for single IP zone?

10. BIND forwarding zone / Proxy zone? How?

11. Solaris 10 zones - communication between zones

12. New to Solaris 10 Zones - Any known problems/limitations?

13. To Configure A Multi Zone DNS On A Subnet?