Problems upgrading from 2.5.1 to 2.6

Post by Patrick Schoppenhors » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to upgrade a Sparc Station 5 from 2.5.1 to 2.6.  When I go to
do the install it tells me that I don't have enough space on /.  Not a
big deal.  It will let me back up and re-partition.  The problem is that
when it goes to repartition it can't unmount the drives. Any ideas?
I've commented out everything I can think of in the vfstab.  Even
unmounted swap.  Any ideas would be helpfull

Thanks is advance!

Patrick Schoppenhorst

Post by Ulrich Somme » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm trying to upgrade a Sparc Station 5 from 2.5.1 to 2.6.  When I go to
> do the install it tells me that I don't have enough space on /.  Not a
> big deal.  It will let me back up and re-partition.  The problem is that
> when it goes to repartition it can't unmount the drives. Any ideas?
> I've commented out everything I can think of in the vfstab.  Even
> unmounted swap.  Any ideas would be helpfull

> Thanks is advance!

> Patrick Schoppenhorst

What do you think about booting from the CDROM?
Escaping to a shell (or switch -sw for the boot process).
Make a free slice on one disk, copy the root-filesystem
to this slice. Shrink the swap and grow the old root-filesystem.
Make a new filesystem, copy the copied back and don't forget
the installboot.
Thats all folks...

Uli

  vcard.vcf