hostname change

Post by Syn » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:16:25

Hello,

I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type hostname.

Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

Regards

hostname change

Post by Martin Schoe » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:39:34

> Hello,

> I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
> have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
> hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type
> hostname.

> Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

Issuing

# hostname {insert_your_hostname}
# echo {insert_your_hostname} > /etc/nodename

should solve your problem.

Martin

hostname change

Post by Remc » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:53:59

Don't forget to modify:

# /etc/hosts  (done)
#/etc/hostname.<interface> (done)
/etc/nodename    (done)
/etc/net/ticots/hosts
/etc/net/ticotsord/hosts
/etc/net/ticlts/hosts

and after the reboot it should be okay!

> > Hello,

> > I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
> > have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
> > hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type
> > hostname.

> > Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

> Issuing

> # hostname {insert_your_hostname}
> # echo {insert_your_hostname} > /etc/nodename

> should solve your problem.

> Martin

hostname change

Post by Syn » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:19:04

Quote:> # /etc/hosts  (done)
> #/etc/hostname.<interface> (done)
> /etc/nodename    (done)
> /etc/net/ticots/hosts
> /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts
> /etc/net/ticlts/hosts

Right the one which influcenes it's hostname is /etc/nodename, forgot
that one. What is actually these ticots and ticlts dirs ?

Regards

>>>Hello,

>>>I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
>>>have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
>>>hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type
>>>hostname.

>>>Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

>>Issuing

>># hostname {insert_your_hostname}
>># echo {insert_your_hostname} > /etc/nodename

>>should solve your problem.

>>Martin

hostname change

Post by Remc » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:04:42

check man ticlts

> > # /etc/hosts  (done)
> > #/etc/hostname.<interface> (done)
> > /etc/nodename    (done)
> > /etc/net/ticots/hosts
> > /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts
> > /etc/net/ticlts/hosts

> Right the one which influcenes it's hostname is /etc/nodename, forgot
> that one. What is actually these ticots and ticlts dirs ?

> Regards

> >>Issuing

> >># hostname {insert_your_hostname}
> >># echo {insert_your_hostname} > /etc/nodename

> >>should solve your problem.

> >>Martin

hostname change

Post by Lon Stowel » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:04:25

> Hello,

> I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
> have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
> hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type hostname.

> Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

  /etc/nodename  as well as the obscure ticots,ticlts/host files.

  The best answer is to check the "FILES" section of the man
  page for sys-unconfig and change the hostname in all of the
  files.

hostname change

Post by Sigmund Straumsne » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:29:52

Quote:> Hello,

> I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
> have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
> hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type
> hostname.

> Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

> Regards

Take a look at sys-unconfig(1M).
--
Sigmund Straumsnes

hostname change

Post by sharo » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:01:25

> > Hello,

> > I would like to change to hostname of a Solaris 8 server and therefore I
> > have modified /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.hme0 to match the new
> > hostname but still after a reboot I get the old hostname if I type
> > hostname.

> > Any ideas what I've fogottten ?

> > Regards

> Take a look at sys-unconfig(1M).

Yes, there are several files you will need to change, /etc/hosts
/etc/hostname.hme0 /etc/nodename and dont forget the /etc/net/ti*
files..  (we used to call them the ticklet files)..  I believe they
are located under /etc/net but I could be wrong, anyway they are
directories and you will need to go into each one and change hosts
files in those directories as well..

or you could do a sys-unconfig, but I always found it easier to just
change the files, just make sure you get all of them!  If you are
unsure you could do a find for the old system name ..

Sharona

1. Hostname change

Hello,
I have been trying to change the hostname on my Red Hat 9 system.
I've read all the various suggestions (they don't all agree which
is confusing) and tried the suggestion that said start
redhat-config-network and click on the DNS tab and put the new hostmane
there. BTW I trying to use hostname peopled. I now get the following
message box when I log on to the system;

"Could not look up internet address for peopled. This will prevent GNOME
from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by
adding peopled to the /etc/hosts." Then I can choose a buttom of either
"logon anyway" or "try later" (this wording may not be exact).

I logon anyway and everything seems to work (well so far).
I know it sounds like the solution was already given to me but I'm using
DHCP to connect to my router so I have no idea what I'd put in the host
file to satisfy the message. Someone out there must have solved this
problem. But though I've looked I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
So please help this newbee. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
        Gtoo

2. Thread safe version of readdir()

3. Hostname changes when eth0 dhcp goes ifup

4. Where is the 'lockf()' function?

5. hostname change

6. Adaptec APA-1460B SlimSCSI problem

7. Hostname change.

8. Shortcut startmenu

9. hostname changes when I PPP

10. Hostname change

11. HOSTNAME changing

12. Hostname change

13. HOSTNAME change / advice sought (repost)