X11 -- remote connection

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:16:31

|You need to have the client execute 'xhost +' with
|root privileges on the server.

Doesn't matter - the Xserver doesn't check (or even know) the id of who
runs xhost.

X11 -- remote connection

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:21:40

|Is there any way to invoke the command 'xhost +' from a remote
|terminal.

I must of course point out that 'xhost +' is evil, and should never be
run on a system that can be reached by untrusted users.  (If I don't say
that, they take away my X Protocol Secret Decoder Ring.)

|Generally the 'xhost +' command is used from the server, so that
|clients can connect remotely.  I have run into a situation where a
|client wants to reboot the server but also wants to invoke the 'xhost
|+' from the client itself.  Actually the server is a totally different
|location than the rebooting client, so one actually has to go
|physically to the sever to do this command, so that all other clients
|can connect.

How is X being started?  If you're using xinit, you could put it in an
.xinitrc.  Or, if you really truly despise security, you could make sure
the server is started with the '-ac' argument, which disables X access
control completely.  (Akin to not only leaving the front door unlocked,
but completely removing it so no one else can ever lock it.)

X11 -- remote connection

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:10:21

|#   |You need to have the client execute 'xhost +' with
|#   |root privileges on the server.
|#
|#   Doesn't matter - the Xserver doesn't check (or even know) the id of who
|#   runs xhost.
|
|Whoa. I've had it refuse to run sometimes
|because it doesn't have root's magic cookies.
|So, there is a user thang going on, sometimes.

It's not root that's important, it's the user who starts the session
and has access to the correct .Xauthority file.

1. Advice on X11 remote connections

Hehe.. Here's some advice.  Don't try running a remote X server over
3DES encryption, over which the server is on a 56k modem and the client
is on a 56k modem, over the internet. Slooooooooooooooow. My god.
Heheh.. or maybe I'm doing something wrong, who knows.?

--
- The Darkener
"I believe I have opened up an entirely new form of research, which I

2. Please help diagnosing the cause of death of my Turing machine !!!

3. Upgrading to 4.6.2...X11 config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 or /etc/X11?

4. Why no desktop fonts in 3.3?

5. SUN PCI X11 remote login failes

6. maintaining a files size

7. Remote X11 apps

8. Error with modules in 1.3.64

9. Q: How to start X11 applications on remote machines on login?

10. X11 Forwarding and Windows remote desktop

11. X11 remote DISPLAY problems

12. AltGr key pb with remote X11 clients (Redhat 9, XFree86 4.3.0)

13. Ssh, VNC, X11, Remote desktops in Linux: I'm confused