Solaris 7 Netscape Mail problem

Post by Stefan Johansso » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I got a strange problem.
We have been using Netscape 4.7 for a while without any problems.
But now all of a sudden, when a user press the "New Msg" button
it causes the whole Netscape to hang.

We are running Solaris 7, and I just installed Netscape 4.76.
The Netscape installation is NFS mounted from a Solaris 7 server.

Quote:>From the time it worked until now I haven't applied any patches,

or changed any permissions.

I have tried to move the ~/.netscape & ~/nsmail catalog but the problem
still exist.

What I have found so far:
If I put the Netscape installation in a local directory everything
works.
I can successfully run the NFS mounted Netscape installation from a
Solaris 8 WS.

Anyone seen this before?

Regards Stefan Johansson

--
Stefan Johansson                 Net Insight AB
System Administrator             Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN

Solaris 7 Netscape Mail problem

Post by rbra.. » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
  It sounds like your lockd is not operating correctly on the NFS SERVER.

> Hi,

> I got a strange problem.
> We have been using Netscape 4.7 for a while without any problems.
> But now all of a sudden, when a user press the "New Msg" button
> it causes the whole Netscape to hang.

> We are running Solaris 7, and I just installed Netscape 4.76.
> The Netscape installation is NFS mounted from a Solaris 7 server.

> >From the time it worked until now I haven't applied any patches,
> or changed any permissions.

> I have tried to move the ~/.netscape & ~/nsmail catalog but the problem
> still exist.

> What I have found so far:
> If I put the Netscape installation in a local directory everything
> works.
> I can successfully run the NFS mounted Netscape installation from a
> Solaris 8 WS.

> Anyone seen this before?

> Regards Stefan Johansson

> --
> Stefan Johansson                 Net Insight AB
> System Administrator             Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
> Phone:  +46-8-685 04 81          Visiting address: V?stberga All 9
> Fax:    +46-8-685 04 20          http://www.netinsight.net

Solaris 7 Netscape Mail problem

Post by albertoor.. » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I had the same problem a couple of days ago, it seemed like a NFS
locking problem while accessing the spelling data of Netscape, I added
the following line in the ~/.netscape/preferences.js file:

user_pref("editor.disable_spell_checker", true);

and that fixed the problem

Quote:> Hi,

> I got a strange problem.
> We have been using Netscape 4.7 for a while without any problems.
> But now all of a sudden, when a user press the "New Msg" button
> it causes the whole Netscape to hang.

> We are running Solaris 7, and I just installed Netscape 4.76.
> The Netscape installation is NFS mounted from a Solaris 7 server.

> >From the time it worked until now I haven't applied any patches,
> or changed any permissions.

> I have tried to move the ~/.netscape & ~/nsmail catalog but the
problem
> still exist.

> What I have found so far:
> If I put the Netscape installation in a local directory everything
> works.
> I can successfully run the NFS mounted Netscape installation from a
> Solaris 8 WS.

> Anyone seen this before?

> Regards Stefan Johansson

> --
> Stefan Johansson                 Net Insight AB
> System Administrator             Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM,
SWEDEN
> Phone:  +46-8-685 04 81          Visiting address: V?stberga All 9
> Fax:    +46-8-685 04 20          http://www.netinsight.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Solaris 7 Netscape Mail problem

Post by Stefan Johansso » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi again,

yes it was a problem with the NFS server, after a reboot the problem
went away.
Thanx for your help

Regards Stefan

> Hi,

> I got a strange problem.
> We have been using Netscape 4.7 for a while without any problems.
> But now all of a sudden, when a user press the "New Msg" button
> it causes the whole Netscape to hang.

> We are running Solaris 7, and I just installed Netscape 4.76.
> The Netscape installation is NFS mounted from a Solaris 7 server.

> >From the time it worked until now I haven't applied any patches,
> or changed any permissions.

> I have tried to move the ~/.netscape & ~/nsmail catalog but the problem
> still exist.

> What I have found so far:
> If I put the Netscape installation in a local directory everything
> works.
> I can successfully run the NFS mounted Netscape installation from a
> Solaris 8 WS.

> Anyone seen this before?

> Regards Stefan Johansson

> --
> Stefan Johansson                 Net Insight AB
> System Administrator             Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
> Phone:  +46-8-685 04 81          Visiting address: V?stberga All 9
> Fax:    +46-8-685 04 20          http://www.netinsight.net

--
Stefan Johansson                 Net Insight AB
System Administrator             Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
Phone:  +46-8-685 04 81          Visiting address: V?stberga All 9
Fax:    +46-8-685 04 20          http://www.netinsight.net

1. Solaris Patches/Netscape Mail Problem

Hello,

We're running Netscape Mail Server 2.0 with Netscape Enterprise
server 2.0.1 on SunOS 5.5.1. The Netscape Mail server is not
starting, stating: "incorrect permissions on the postoffice/config directory".

Netscape said we should patch the Solaris operating system which should fix this
problem. Two questions,

        1. Where can one find the Solaris patches on the net?
        2. Has anyone else had the postoffice/config permissions
                problem?

Thanks very much in advance,
Doug

2. SEGV at malloc

3. Problem with Netscape Mail and Solaris

4. floppy problems on RS/6000 320

5. odd problem with Solaris 2.3 /usr/ucb/mail and nfs-mounted /var/mail

6. bootdisk development

7. Netscape 4.5 - problems deleting mails and problems resolving names on Linux

8. hardware FAQ?

9. Netscape Navigator 4.05 for Solaris 2.5.1 create mail message bug

10. Netscape Mail / Solaris config

11. Netscape mail for Solaris

12. POP mail/netscape on Solaris 2.6

13. netscape mail on solaris 2.5