Wide Ultra SCSI-3 Compaq AP400 Workstation Installation Problem Help

Wide Ultra SCSI-3 Compaq AP400 Workstation Installation Problem Help

Post by Donald Deas » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Everyone

I am having a problem trying to install Solaris 2.6 x86 on a Compaq
AP400 Professional Workstation.
"No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and powered up".

Using Solaris 2.6 Configuration assistant v1.3 (Driver Update 3).
also tried
Configuration assistant for Compaq 1.2.1 Driver update 1.2.1 for Compaq.

The boot disk actually detects and asks if I want to boot from the hard
drive.
"Target 0, COMPAQ DDRS-34560W S97A on Compaq 53C8x5 PCI SCSI on board
PCI at Dev 11".
I go through all the configuration until it tries to sort out the disk
and says "No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and
powered up".

I did notice that with driver update 1.21 the forceload of cpqncr driver
failed. Which I presumed to be the driver for the Wide Ultra SCSI 3 ?

The compaq is based on an Intel 440BX AGP chipset and has it's own
Wide-Ultra SCSI 3 controller. The disk is okay (the Windows NT it came
bundled with works fine).
Compaq AP400 professional Workstation
Matrox Millenium II 2D
4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI3
400 MHz Pentium II

If anybody has any suggestions for solving my problem please email and
post here.

Thanks
Donald
--
Donald Deasy
Intelligent Applications Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square,Livingston,EH54

Post by Davor Grgicevi » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hi Everyone

> I am having a problem trying to install Solaris 2.6 x86 on a Compaq
> AP400 Professional Workstation.
> "No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and powered up".

> Using Solaris 2.6 Configuration assistant v1.3 (Driver Update 3).
> also tried
> Configuration assistant for Compaq 1.2.1 Driver update 1.2.1 for Compaq.

> The boot disk actually detects and asks if I want to boot from the hard
> drive.
> "Target 0, COMPAQ DDRS-34560W S97A on Compaq 53C8x5 PCI SCSI on board
> PCI at Dev 11".
> I go through all the configuration until it tries to sort out the disk
> and says "No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and
> powered up".

> I did notice that with driver update 1.21 the forceload of cpqncr driver
> failed. Which I presumed to be the driver for the Wide Ultra SCSI 3 ?

> The compaq is based on an Intel 440BX AGP chipset and has it's own
> Wide-Ultra SCSI 3 controller. The disk is okay (the Windows NT it came
> bundled with works fine).
> Compaq AP400 professional Workstation
> Matrox Millenium II 2D
> 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI3
> 400 MHz Pentium II

> If anybody has any suggestions for solving my problem please email and
> post here.

> Thanks
> Donald
> --
> Donald Deasy
> Intelligent Applications Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square,Livingston,EH54
> 7DP,Scotland
> Phone: (+44) 1506 472047 Fax  : (+44) 1506 472282

Hi I use same maschine but from INTEL wit SOLARIS 2.6 and new drivers
solution for me was to use Mylex AccelleRaid 200 controller. I coluld not
find
drivers for SymbiosLogic witch is implemented on board.
With Mylex installed in PCI slot 3 and i960 processor 8 MB cache is wery
good solution
and price for controller is about 600 $
check only if this is the same board on
support.Intel.com/support/motherboards/server/n440bx/

Post by Donald Deas » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi Everyone

> > I am having a problem trying to install Solaris 2.6 x86 on a Compaq
> > AP400 Professional Workstation.
> > "No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and powered up".

> > Using Solaris 2.6 Configuration assistant v1.3 (Driver Update 3).
> > also tried
> > Configuration assistant for Compaq 1.2.1 Driver update 1.2.1 for Compaq.

> > The boot disk actually detects and asks if I want to boot from the hard
> > drive.
> > "Target 0, COMPAQ DDRS-34560W S97A on Compaq 53C8x5 PCI SCSI on board
> > PCI at Dev 11".
> > I go through all the configuration until it tries to sort out the disk
> > and says "No disks found. Check to make sure disks are cabled and
> > powered up".

> > I did notice that with driver update 1.21 the forceload of cpqncr driver
> > failed. Which I presumed to be the driver for the Wide Ultra SCSI 3 ?

> > The compaq is based on an Intel 440BX AGP chipset and has it's own
> > Wide-Ultra SCSI 3 controller. The disk is okay (the Windows NT it came
> > bundled with works fine).
> > Compaq AP400 professional Workstation
> > Matrox Millenium II 2D
> > 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI3
> > 400 MHz Pentium II

> > If anybody has any suggestions for solving my problem please email and
> > post here.

> > Thanks
> > Donald
> > --
> > Donald Deasy
> > Intelligent Applications Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square,Livingston,EH54
> > 7DP,Scotland
> > Phone: (+44) 1506 472047 Fax  : (+44) 1506 472282

> Hi I use same maschine but from INTEL wit SOLARIS 2.6 and new drivers
> solution for me was to use Mylex AccelleRaid 200 controller. I coluld not
> find
> drivers for SymbiosLogic witch is implemented on board.
> With Mylex installed in PCI slot 3 and i960 processor 8 MB cache is wery
> good solution
> and price for controller is about 600 $
> check only if this is the same board on
> support.Intel.com/support/motherboards/server/n440bx/

Thanks Davor

I've had no result from Sun after 5 days, even though they seem to think
that the drivers DO work for the Symbios Logic.

As far as I can tell their X86 Certificate for this machine used an ATA
(EIDE drive) , so they never had anything connected to the SCSI
controller. Which probably means that they never tested the drivers for
the SCSI controller. I am not impressed. I guess I should have read the
SMALL PRINT. The whole point of buying this machine was to avoid these
problems. I have now resorted to using another "certified" pci SCSI
controller as a workaround ( DPT for anyone interested).

I'll let the group now if I have any success.

Once again, if anyone has a possible solution I would be interested,
post here and email.

Thanks
Donald
--
Donald Deasy
Intelligent Applications Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square,Livingston,EH54
7DP,Scotland
Phone: (+44) 1506 472047 Fax  : (+44) 1506 472282

Wide Ultra SCSI-3 Compaq AP400 Workstation Installation Problem Help

Post by John D Groenve » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've had no result from Sun after 5 days, even though they seem to think
>that the drivers DO work for the Symbios Logic.

As I recall, Sun has Symbios875 drivers for Compaq (cpq875) on Compaq DU.
Perhaps the MB contains a Sym895-based controller.
Keep up the fight!
John

Post by Donald Deas » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >I've had no result from Sun after 5 days, even though they seem to think
> >that the drivers DO work for the Symbios Logic.

> As I recall, Sun has Symbios875 drivers for Compaq (cpq875) on Compaq DU.
> Perhaps the MB contains a Sym895-based controller.
> Keep up the fight!

Thanks John

Final word from Sun today was that the Symbios Logic NCR 53C875 (as
onboard the Compaq AP400) is not supported for Solaris 2.6 (at this
moment in time).

They did mention that they do have a fix for a beta Solaris 2.7 ...
which will be coming out later this year ...

The Sun bug reference is 4125194.

If you have at least bronze level technical support they may be able to
work on a "backgrade" to 2.6.

So could everyone who has a Symbios Logic NCR 53C875 controller please
request a 2.6 driver from Sun please.

Cheers
Donald
--
Donald Deasy
Intelligent Applications Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square,Livingston,EH54
7DP,Scotland
Phone: (+44) 1506 472047 Fax  : (+44) 1506 472282

1. which linux SCSI driver to use for Compaq DUAL Wide Ultra SCSI-3 controller

Hi.
We consider buying  a COMPAQ proliant 1600 with RAID-5 hardware
capability.
Which (if supportede by Linux) linux SCSI driver is to be use for Compaq
DUAL Wide Ultra SCSI-3 control.

I would greatly appreciate a quick answer
Thanks in advance

--
S?ren V. Carlsen (Teknisk ansvarlig for den elektroniske
pligtaflevering)

Hjemme-adresse (Home):
============
S?ren V. Carlsen
Rosen?rnsvej 39, st. th
DK-5230 Odense M
Tlf: 66 12 94 78

2. nonroot ipchains commands

3. Ultra-Wide SCSI on fast/wide SCSI 2 adapter

4. shutdown

5. drivers for compaq wide ultra scsi controller

6. help with special directives in make file

7. AIX 4.3.1, IBM 6208 Fast Wide SCSI, Seagate Ultra Wide 9.1 Gb drive?

8. Linux defrag?

9. Help: Ultra wide SCSI and Differential SCSI

10. Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

11. SCSI, SCSI-2, Wide/Ultra, etc SCSI????

12. Ultra Wide SCSI and Ultra IDE

13. Performance Technologies Ultra Wide SCSI (ultra 2 SBUS) controller question