X86/2.5 loosing desktop.

Post by Laurence Lindstr » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Help Solaris experts:

   I have a PPro , Solaris 2.5, and a Matrox Millennium 4 Meg.

   I have NT in the first 1 gig partition, WIN95 in the second gig, and
Solaris in the last, 2 gig, partition.

   Several weeks ago I had to rebuild the WIN95 partition from tape.  So
I made that second partition active, with fdisk, and ran ArcSolo.  The
partition recovered fine.

   I then ran fdisk to activate the Solaris partition.  After entering
user name and password, the CDE "setup" screen popped up, the one with the
sun splash image, with the hourglass symbol.  And that was it, my desktop
wouldn't come up.  Eventually, the screen went completely blank.

   I rebuilt from CDROMs.  I did a ufsdump for each file system.

   Last night I rebuilt WIN95 again, and Solaris is screwed up in the
same way.

   I can do the "Failsafe" login.

   How do I get my desktop back?

   How do I avoid this problem in the future?

                                                                Thanks
                                                                Larry

1. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

 Hi All,

  Just wanted to pass on some excellent deals on Solaris 2.5.1 software with
the WABI user interface for x86 machines. The WABI allows you to run many
Windows 3.1 applications on a UNIX box, giving you the best of both worlds.
Imagine, running MS OFFICE components like, MS Word for Windows, Excel,
Powerpoint, and interfacing with the functionality of UNIX at the same time.

For a limited time, John Cristy, at Executive Tools, Inc.,
is offering:

  Solaris 2.5.1 User Desktop package for $175.00
  Solaris 2.5.1 Application Server package for $395.00

Ref URL http://www.etools.com for full information and additional products.

They also have a student special (99.00 + shipping)(yes, you read that
right, Solaris 2.5.1 user desktop for $99.00).

Mention my name, Bob Fahey, and he will throw in the Java Workshop for
$85.00. Mention my name anyway, as he wants to know what the response is to
this.
If asked where you heard this, tell them not just the web, but the Newsgroup
you read it on.  Thanks.

The Executive Tools web site URL http://www.etools.com also has some
excellent links to other Solaris and Sun information pages.

 Executive Tools is not associated with this posting, so, if you have any

 replies, good or bad!

--
//signed//

URL http://www.3lefties.com/users/faheyb.html
Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

2. Encryption Flaw Solved

3. Solaris 2.5 Desktop x86 edition: missing ntpdate?

4. Question for UNIX Gurus

5. FS: Solaris 2.5 x86 Desktop

6. Linux and CORBA

7. Where are the Admin tools in X86 Desktop 2.5?

8. Linux and Dual P6

9. Solaris 2.5 Desktop x86 edition: missing ntpdate?

10. Print x86 2.5 desktop docs off cd before install?

11. Solaris 2.5 x86 (Desktop vs. Server)

12. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

13. Loosing LynxOS nfs mounted directories with Solaris 2.5.x