Disksuite question

Post by Bigdaki » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:31:09

I have a stripe partition attached to a U60 that I would like to replace with a
larger  RAID 5 partition.
I was wondering, in the interest of saving down time, if I could build the
partition on another U60, and then move it to the U60 where it will be
permanently attached.

Obvioulsy since RAID5 is different from the stripe, I would need to wipe out
the metadevice, and I might as well clear the md database as well.

Once the system is built on the other U60, I figure then I can move to where I
want it. Question what is required? Can I simply just copy the contents of
/etc/lvm and the md part of the /etc/system. I'm pretty sure that if I run
metainit it will redo everything, and that would take a fair bit of time. So,
I'm wondering if there's a way to fake that out, and get the raid partition
installed without running metainit..

Any ideas, or am I merely delusional? Or is it a good idea, but I'm delusional
anyway..

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"

Disksuite question

Post by Anthony Whitehea » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:51:52

> Once the system is built on the other U60, I figure then I can move to where I
> want it. Question what is required? Can I simply just copy the contents of
> /etc/lvm and the md part of the /etc/system. I'm pretty sure that if I run
> metainit it will redo everything, and that would take a fair bit of time. So,
> I'm wondering if there's a way to fake that out, and get the raid partition
> installed without running metainit..

Your're not delusional, we've done similar things here before. You
generally can't copy the files exactly because you might get different
controller or target numbers. But, as long as you are carefull you can
use the information from the md.cf file to make a new md.tab file for the
new system. A few things to be wary of:
-When using metainit make sure to use the -k flag to avoid hosing your
prebuilt raid5.
-Make sure that the interlace is exactly the same and that you are SURE
you have got the order of the disks in the raid correct.
-Make sure the individual disks work in the new system and are visible to
the OS before attempting to add them to SDS.
-Don't have any metadb replica's on the raid5 slices.

Other than that, you should be fine. Good luck!

/Ant

Disksuite question

Post by Bigdaki » Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:14:51

>Subject: Re: Disksuite question

>Date: 10/9/03 4:51 AM Hawaiian Standard Time

>> Once the system is built on the other U60, I figure then I can move to
>where I
>> want it. Question what is required? Can I simply just copy the contents of
>> /etc/lvm and the md part of the /etc/system. I'm pretty sure that if I run
>> metainit it will redo everything, and that would take a fair bit of time.
>So,
>> I'm wondering if there's a way to fake that out, and get the raid partition
>> installed without running metainit..

>Your're not delusional, we've done similar things here before. You
>generally can't copy the files exactly because you might get different
>controller or target numbers. But, as long as you are carefull you can
>use the information from the md.cf file to make a new md.tab file for the
>new system. A few things to be wary of:
>-When using metainit make sure to use the -k flag to avoid hosing your
>prebuilt raid5.

Ok. I was wondering how to get metainit just to setup the /dev entry without
intializing the metadevice.

Note to self: Next time read the entire man page.

Quote:>-Make sure that the interlace is exactly the same and that you are SURE
>you have got the order of the disks in the raid correct.

Ok. Easy enough.

Quote:>-Make sure the individual disks work in the new system and are visible to
>the OS before attempting to add them to SDS.

Sounds good.. pardon my stupidity.. but what is SDS?  Solaris DiskSuite?

Quote:>-Don't have any metadb replica's on the raid5 slices.

I didn't know you could do that. I've always put my metadb replicas on a
partition separate from the data partition. Either that or I'm very confused
about something..

Quote:

>Other than that, you should be fine. Good luck!

So does this make sense:

1. Set up Raid 5 partition on off line machine

2. Attach Raid5 to new machine.
   boot -rs
   Make sure all disks are visible. Note disk    names.

3. Add replicas to database.

4. Set up md.tab file with correct partition names and interlace size.

5. metainit -k d0 (or whatever device name you use)

6. newfs

7. rock n' roll

THanks much.

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"

1. Disksuite Question

I have a Compaq StorageWorks connected via fibre-optic to to an E-450
(sol7). I will have a second smaller machine for backup the E-450 in
case of breakdown to maintain fileaccess to the StorageWorks.

For it is not easy to expand a stripped mirrorset in a fast way i have
planned to use Disksuite to concat the existing stripped mirrorset with
a new unit. (and when there is time and a maintainance window i will
setup the 2 units as a one bigger piece).

Now there are 2 possibilities to do so (but i dont know if they are
possible):

1.) create 2 concat-devices in Disksuite on E-450 and copy the
disksuite-db (and other needed stuff) to the backup machine (if this is
possible - what must have been done?)

2.) normal access to the formated units and adding the filesets to a
disksuite-concat-set if an expansion is needed (is this possible?).

Hope, there is anyone who has experience with that.

Kind regards

R. Schicht

2. Caldera 2.2 Thinkpad Boot/Install Problems

3. DiskSuite Question re: /dev/md/admin

4. SecurID expect script for PPP?

5. Stupid disksuite questions

6. Backup problems with Legato Networker

7. LVM / DiskSuite question

8. CDROM: works with files, not with Music!

9. DiskSuite questions

10. YASDSQ (Yet Another Solstice DiskSuite Question)

11. Disksuite Question

12. disksuite question

13. SDS (Solstice DiskSuite) Question