Weitek'd SS2 question

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just fired up a (supposedly) Weitek'd SS2 for the first time.
How do I determine that it actually has the 80 MHz CPU in it?
psrinfo -v says 40 MHz, and the power-on banner doesn't say anything
out of the ordinary.

TIA,

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails.

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763 6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

Weitek'd SS2 question

Post by Dave Abne » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The weitek powerup cpu has a heat sink mounted to it so that it does not
have a flat
profile.  You can see a picture at www.rave.com following the link to
cpu upgrades I believe.

> Hi,

> I've just fired up a (supposedly) Weitek'd SS2 for the first time.
> How do I determine that it actually has the 80 MHz CPU in it?
> psrinfo -v says 40 MHz, and the power-on banner doesn't say anything
> out of the ordinary.

> TIA,

> --
> Rich Teer

> NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails.

> If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

> Voice: +1 (250) 763 6205
> WWW: www.rite-group.com

Weitek'd SS2 question

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> The weitek powerup cpu has a heat sink mounted to it so that it does not
> have a flat
> profile.  You can see a picture at www.rave.com following the link to
> cpu upgrades I believe.

I've opened a case, and indeed my CPU has the Weitek heat sink.
Just for future reference, is there any way to check for the
PowerUp, without opening the case?  Apart from the obvious "time
some commands", that is!

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails.

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763 6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

Weitek'd SS2 question

Post by Dave Abne » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I don't know of any other way to determine the type of CPU other then opening
the case.

> > The weitek powerup cpu has a heat sink mounted to it so that it does not
> > have a flat
> > profile.  You can see a picture at www.rave.com following the link to
> > cpu upgrades I believe.

> I've opened a case, and indeed my CPU has the Weitek heat sink.
> Just for future reference, is there any way to check for the
> PowerUp, without opening the case?  Apart from the obvious "time
> some commands", that is!

> --
> Rich Teer

> NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails.

> If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

> Voice: +1 (250) 763 6205
> WWW: www.rite-group.com

Weitek'd SS2 question

Post by Mike Fischbei » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> The weitek powerup cpu has a heat sink mounted to it so that it does not
>> have a flat profile.
> I've opened a case, and indeed my CPU has the Weitek heat sink.
> Just for future reference, is there any way to check for the
> PowerUp, without opening the case?  Apart from the obvious "time
> some commands", that is!

fpuversion, if you have it, gives a clock rate from
timing some FP operations.  I believe it comes with
the Fortran compiler, not with the OS in general.

        mike

--

Any opinions  expressed are  mine and not necessarily
those of any other entity. They may not even be mine.

1. weitek upgrade chips in SS2's

We're thinking about upgrading some '92 sparcstation 2 cpu's with the
Weitek PowerUp CPU upgrade.  I understand there were some problems with
this upgrade and earlier SS2's.  Is this still the case?

Are there any installation, reliability, or compatibility problems?
Is it worth the money?

Information on your experiences would be greatly appriciated.

Our application mix includes Interleaf, Lotus, SunPC, Sparcworks
Ada/C/Fortran, Oracle, AutoPlan, Liken, tn3179g (ibm term
emulation), Mosaic, Answerbook, PCMS.

Potential upcoming apps include Groupwise, WABI or WinDD...

Thanks,
JW

John Wilder
McDonnell Douglas Aerospace
F/A-18 Avionics Support
314-233-6329

* Jeff Stephens                    _/            |"Could you,      *
* Daugherty Systems               _/             |  would you,     *
* Phone: (314) 432-8200          _/              |   with a goat?" *
* Fax:   (314) 432-8217         _/               | Dr. Suess       *

2. Turning colors off under Redhat

3. HELP! Weitek Chip on SS2 - ROM Rev.?

4. FSF version of Linux

5. Support for Weitek Power 9000 based 'Diamond Viper' Card.

6. Use yp auto.master maps with AMD

7. Help - Sol 2.3 SS2 and Winsock PC won't talk!!!

8. AWT Java programs dump core with Linux X-Display .....

9. X-server for a Weitek's chip

10. SPARC, Weitek POWER uP questions

11. Weitek P9100 question

12. SPARC, Weitek POWER uP questions