Help: Delete Existing Partitions

Post by Mike Bryan » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:09:56

Hi - I've just bought a new (used) hard drive for extra storage on a
sparcstation 10 running solaris 7.  The drive is currently partitioned & I
would like to delete all of those partitions & create a new single partition
which uses the entire disk.  I'm trying to use solaris format.  I have gone
through each of the options and tried various things but the current
partition table remains.  The device is installed & configured & shows up as
disk c0t0d0.  Could someone give me instructions about how to delete the
existing partitions and create a new large partition on the disk?  Thank
you.

Post by Logan Sha » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:34:13

> Hi - I've just bought a new (used) hard drive for extra storage on a
> sparcstation 10 running solaris 7.  The drive is currently partitioned & I
> would like to delete all of those partitions & create a new single partition
> which uses the entire disk.  I'm trying to use solaris format.  I have gone
> through each of the options and tried various things but the current
> partition table remains.  The device is installed & configured & shows up as
> disk c0t0d0.

Here's how:

1.  Start "format", and select the disk.

2.  Type "part" to go to the partition menu.

3.  For each partition you want to delete, type the partition number
    to edit that partition.  Give a starting cylinder of zero and
    a size of zero to clear the partition.  DO NOT zero out partition
    #2 -- it's supposed to be the whole disk size.  (On x86, you
    would leave 8 and 9 as-is as well.)

4.  Pick a partition and set it to the size you want.  If you're
    unsure of the range of allowed values at a prompt, type "?".

5.  Type "print" to review everything and make sure that it's
    just who you like.  If so, type "label" to cause the changes
    (i.e. the new disk label) to be written to the disk.

6.  Type "quit" twice, and you're ready to use "newfs" or whatever.

Hope that helps.

  - Logan

--
I'm currently looking for work as a Unix/Solaris
administrator, or Perl/C++/Java developer.  Resume