Zip Drive on a Sparc5

Post by Aaron B. Dosse » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to connect an IOmega Zip-Drive to a SPARCstation 5.  Does anyone
know where I could obtain a SCSI cable that would connect the Zip, which has
a "standard" port to my Sun SCSI enclosure which uses the smaller port and
smaller pins?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
--

Comp. Sci. Junior  |
    University of Kentucky   Home of the 1996 NCAA Basketball Champions

Zip Drive on a Sparc5

Post by Randall Hopp » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

 |I'm trying to connect an IOmega Zip-Drive to a SPARCstation 5.  Does anyone
 |know where I could obtain a SCSI cable that would connect the Zip, which has
 |a "standard" port to my Sun SCSI enclosure which uses the smaller port and
 |smaller pins?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

You might call around to shops in Computer Shopper that sell SCSI ZIPs
(since it is an odd cable).  As I recall, I bought my HighDens-to-MAC SCSI
cable from Insight--same company I picked up my ZIP drive from.  They had
the best price and a high-quality cable -- around $15 for a 3'
well-shielded cable.  That was a year or so ago though so their offerings
may have changed.

    Randall Hopper  (AA8VB)   |  Picker International, CT Visualization

            *** WINDOWS, from the folks who brought you EDLIN ***

Zip Drive on a Sparc5

Post by Jamie Thingelst » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to connect an IOmega Zip-Drive to a SPARCstation 5.  Does anyone
>know where I could obtain a SCSI cable that would connect the Zip, which has
>a "standard" port to my Sun SCSI enclosure which uses the smaller port and
>smaller pins?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Any SCSI converter cable from SCSI HD 50 to DB25 will work. I use one
with my PeeCee SCSI card and the Zip drive and it works fine.

Dunno about drivers though for Solaris.. if you get it to work would
like to know...

--
= http://www.TheConductor.com/ ========================= Jamie Thingelstad
 612.832.9445 Ext 24   Fax 612.832.5926                     Vice President

Zip Drive on a Sparc5

Post by Richard B. Joh » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >I'm trying to connect an IOmega Zip-Drive to a SPARCstation 5.  Does anyone
> >know where I could obtain a SCSI cable that would connect the Zip, which has
> >a "standard" port to my Sun SCSI enclosure which uses the smaller port and
> >smaller pins?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

> Any SCSI converter cable from SCSI HD 50 to DB25 will work. I use one
> with my PeeCee SCSI card and the Zip drive and it works fine.

> Dunno about drivers though for Solaris.. if you get it to work would
> like to know...

> --
> = http://www.TheConductor.com/ ========================= Jamie Thingelstad
>  612.832.9445 Ext 24   Fax 612.832.5926                     Vice President
>  7600 France Ave South, St. 106, Edina, MN 55435  Chief Technology Officer

Howdy.

If you haven't been to Celeste Stokely's WEB site in a while, she's added
some new links, including one to an FAQ for installing ZIP drives on a
Solaris system.

The actual URL for this site is :

http://blackhole.eas.asu.edu/zip (This is a recent change for people who
may have bookmarked their previous site.)

They even have the /etc/format.dat entry for the ZIP drive along with
complete installation and configuration information.  I've not done this,
since I don't have one of these (yet!), but it looked pretty complete.

The author of this site has installation info for the Solaris OS and the
Linux OS.

Would be worth looking at.

Regards,

Rich Johns

--
Richard B. Johns
TRW Systems Integration Group, ARMY Systems Organization

1. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

Hi Linux friends,

I have a IDE ZIPdrive and want to use it under Linux
Currently I have Redhat 4.1 installed.

During start-up it finds my IDE zip at /dev/hdc (/dev/hdb
is my IDE cdrom), however any attempt to mount a disk or to access with
mtools failed. Mtools gives me a read error, with obscure messages like
hdc: packect command error: status=0x51 error=0x50.... (sigh)

Do I have to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. I read somewhere that it might work.
Does anybody has more experience with this matter and hence could
anybody give me some valuable advice, before I run to the store and buy
redhat 5.0 or get myself a scsi ZIP drive.

Thanx guys,

Hans Kramer

2. Prompt question (related to FAQ #4)

3. using zip disk on sparc5 and linux

4. Teac CD55a Connected with 8 bit Teac Interface

5. Zombie Processes in HA Env

6. Zip Zoom Cards & Zip Drives

7. increasing TCP ports in kernel

8. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive