SAN lun vs Local disk

SAN lun vs Local disk

Post by Shah » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:05:42



I'm trying to figure out which kind of disk a certain file system is mounted on.

lets look at, say, /data/db1.
reading mnttab I can see that /data/db1 is mounted on: /dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2
/dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2  /SAN_NOVRTS/rdb5402  ufs rw,... ,dev=3c40052       1029325712

so, I can see it's a ufs and the device.

How can I tell if this is a local disk or a SAN lun?????

Thanks ahead

 
 
 

SAN lun vs Local disk

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:42:07



> I'm trying to figure out which kind of disk a certain file system is mounted on.
> lets look at, say, /data/db1.
> reading mnttab I can see that /data/db1 is mounted on: /dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2
> /dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2  /SAN_NOVRTS/rdb5402  ufs rw,... ,dev=3c40052       1029325712

> so, I can see it's a ufs and the device.
> How can I tell if this is a local disk or a SAN lun?????

I can think of a few ways, none of them terribly pretty.  The system
generally makes it so you don't care about the difference, so this sort
of thing isn't usually necessary.

1) Use iostat -En and look at the label on the disk.  Often, scsi
   attached and SAN attached disks will be different.  If you have a Sun
   array though, this might not be true.

2) Figure out what your SAN HBAs are.  You might have to get some
   information from prtconf, or from /etc/path_to_inst, or you might
   just keep a table.  The drive files point to the full hardware path.

# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c4t45d74s2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         51 Jul 17 13:18 /dev/rdsk/c4t45d74s2 ->

I know that there's a JNI card in that spot, so this is a SAN disk.

or I can parse..

c4t45d74        Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: EMC      Product: SYMMETRIX        Revision: 5567 Serial No:
502755193200
Size: 48.27GB <48270213120 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

and guess the same thing...

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
         < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

 
 
 

SAN lun vs Local disk

Post by Shah » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:55:57




> > I'm trying to figure out which kind of disk a certain file system is mounted on.

> > lets look at, say, /data/db1.
> > reading mnttab I can see that /data/db1 is mounted on: /dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2
> > /dev/dsk/c3t0d5s2  /SAN_NOVRTS/rdb5402  ufs rw,... ,dev=3c40052       1029325712

> > so, I can see it's a ufs and the device.

> > How can I tell if this is a local disk or a SAN lun?????

> I can think of a few ways, none of them terribly pretty.  The system
> generally makes it so you don't care about the difference, so this sort
> of thing isn't usually necessary.

> 1) Use iostat -En and look at the label on the disk.  Often, scsi
>    attached and SAN attached disks will be different.  If you have a Sun
>    array though, this might not be true.

> 2) Figure out what your SAN HBAs are.  You might have to get some
>    information from prtconf, or from /etc/path_to_inst, or you might
>    just keep a table.  The drive files point to the full hardware path.

> # ls -l /dev/rdsk/c4t45d74s2
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         51 Jul 17 13:18 /dev/rdsk/c4t45d74s2 ->

> I know that there's a JNI card in that spot, so this is a SAN disk.

> or I can parse..

> c4t45d74        Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: EMC      Product: SYMMETRIX        Revision: 5567 Serial No:
> 502755193200
> Size: 48.27GB <48270213120 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

> and guess the same thing...

Thanks
I think I have many holes in my education to understand every-thing you just said.

It's on customer site so I can't ask: hey dude what's your local disks vendor?

can I assume all local disks are on controler 0?

more confused

 
 
 

SAN lun vs Local disk

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:33:40




>> I know that there's a JNI card in that spot, so this is a SAN disk.
> Thanks
> I think I have many holes in my education to understand every-thing you just said.
> what do you learn from this:


Well... while it's possible to understand some of those numbers and turn
them into a physical location (system board X, sbus controller Y, slot
Z), that doesn't always help.  I was more assuming that you knew what
was there.

Quote:> It's on customer site so I can't ask: hey dude what's your local disks vendor?

With a 3500/4500/6500 or a 250/450, there are documents to map from the
above path to a physical slot location.  Then you could take
/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag and try to guess at the card from the
description.

Is this just one machine you're asking about, or are you looking for a
general solution?

If you see a QLGC ISP, you know you've got a scsi card, if you see a
SUNW,socal or a FCE-1063, you've got a fiber card.

Quote:> can I assume all local disks are on controler 0?

No.  It's possible (but unlikely) controller 0 to be mapped to a
controller responsible for external disks.

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
         < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

 
 
 

SAN lun vs Local disk

Post by Shah » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:22:47





> >> I know that there's a JNI card in that spot, so this is a SAN disk.

> > Thanks
> > I think I have many holes in my education to understand every-thing you just said.
> > what do you learn from this:

> Well... while it's possible to understand some of those numbers and turn
> them into a physical location (system board X, sbus controller Y, slot
> Z), that doesn't always help.  I was more assuming that you knew what
> was there.

> > It's on customer site so I can't ask: hey dude what's your local disks vendor?

> With a 3500/4500/6500 or a 250/450, there are documents to map from the
> above path to a physical slot location.  Then you could take
> /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag and try to guess at the card from the
> description.

> Is this just one machine you're asking about, or are you looking for a
> general solution?

> If you see a QLGC ISP, you know you've got a scsi card, if you see a
> SUNW,socal or a FCE-1063, you've got a fiber card.

> > can I assume all local disks are on controler 0?

> No.  It's possible (but unlikely) controller 0 to be mapped to a
> controller responsible for external disks.

Thanks again for your help.
It's a general solution starting from Solaris and continues to HP-UX and sadly, AIX.
 
 
 

1. SAN volume vs Local disk

on Solaris but potentially on HP-UX 11.00 as well.
Starting from a mount point how can I tell what kind of disk a certain
 fs is mounted on.
this is the line from mnttab
/dev/dsk/c3t0d4s2       /SAN_NOVRTS/rdb5401     ufs    
rw,intr,largefiles,onerror=panic,suid,dev=3c40042       1029325711

of-course I rather do it from a C program but I can call a script if
there is no other way.

thanks ahead.

shahar

2. Magic for rle images

3. looking for a NFS vs local disk comparison...

4. 2.4.14-pre3 and umount

5. Disk space management: /opt vs /usr/local

6. Logitech / selection-1.?

7. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

8. xload on SLS 1.03 .99pl11 & X8514 quits

9. remote vs local vs NFS kernel compile (long)

10. E250 internal disks: "Sun" disk vs "generic" Seagate disk

11. LOCAL: San Francisco BALUG Mtg. Tue 10-19-1999 w/VMWARE

12. LOCAL: San Francisco BA Linux Users Group Meeting Wed 6/17/1998

13. LOCAL: BALUG (San Francisco) User Group Mtg. Tues 09/15/1998