error 24 [Too many open files]

Post by Torleiv Flatebo Ringe » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:43:51

We have been having a problem with a piece of software crashing every
five days or so. The crashes do seem to be related somewhat to the
amount of activity on this software.

What we are seeing in the logs is what seems to me to be a POSIX
error message "error 24 [Too many open files]". Yesterday, the
software crashed again, and I was able to run pfiles on the
offending process.

We have recently bumped the number of available file handles to 1023
per process as per the request of the vendor. In the pfiles output
It at first did look like the software had eaten up 1023 files handles,
however after looking at the file closer it turned out that there
were only 960 files opened.

There was a missing block between 192 and 255.

Question 1)
Is this normal Solaris behaviour?

Question 2)
Does anyone know where this error might be coming from?

Offending system:
SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_108528-22 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R Solaris

--
if you're not part of the future then get outta the way