ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

Post by Duke Neuko » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:47:18



I'm trying to configure my old Solaris box to use a static IP.  From what I
read, I should only have to configure two files.  Is this incorrect?

1) I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file which contains:    nameofcomputer

2) I have a /etc/hosts file which contains :
                            127.0.0.1                localhost
                            66.149.xxx.xxx        nameofcomputer (where the
x's are numbers)

On bootup, I get the error:
    "configuring network interfaces:ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: le0: Caannot
assign requested address"

What am I missing here.  I tried playing around with manually running
ifconfig but to no avail.  The IP address I'm using for nameofcomputer is a
valid static IP for my network, and one which no other computer has taken.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Duke

 
 
 

ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:56:29



> I'm trying to configure my old Solaris box to use a static IP.  From what I
> read, I should only have to configure two files.  Is this incorrect?

> 1) I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file which contains:    nameofcomputer

> 2) I have a /etc/hosts file which contains :
>                             127.0.0.1                localhost
>                             66.149.xxx.xxx        nameofcomputer (where the
> x's are numbers)

> On bootup, I get the error:
>     "configuring network interfaces:ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: le0: Caannot
> assign requested address"

> What am I missing here.  I tried playing around with manually running
> ifconfig but to no avail.  The IP address I'm using for nameofcomputer is a
> valid static IP for my network, and one which no other computer has taken.

> Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

        What kind of response do you get when you run "ifconfig" manually?

                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

 
 
 

ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 07:02:04



> I'm trying to configure my old Solaris box to use a static IP.  From what I
> read, I should only have to configure two files.  Is this incorrect?
> 1) I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file which contains:    nameofcomputer

Does your old Solaris box have an le interface?

What operating system does it run?

Quote:> 2) I have a /etc/hosts file which contains :
>                             127.0.0.1                localhost
>                             66.149.xxx.xxx        nameofcomputer (where the
> x's are numbers)
> On bootup, I get the error:
>     "configuring network interfaces:ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: le0: Caannot
> assign requested address"
> What am I missing here.  I tried playing around with manually running
> ifconfig but to no avail.

'no avail' isn't very descriptive.  Was the error the same as above?
What are the output (or errors) of these commands?

ifconfig -a
ifconfig le0 plumb 10.10.10.10 up
grep 66 /etc/netmasks
wc -l /etc/hostname.*

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

 
 
 

ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

Post by Duke Neuko » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:18:56




> > I'm trying to configure my old Solaris box to use a static IP.  From
what I
> > read, I should only have to configure two files.  Is this incorrect?

> > 1) I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file which contains:    nameofcomputer

> Does your old Solaris box have an le interface? ------------------------

        - Yes

Another thing to mention is that my box hangs at bootup time around the
follow messages
" ...
in.rdisc: No interfaces up
starting routing daemon
starting rpc services: rpcbind keyserv done.
lo0: blah blah blah ...
le0: blah blah blah ...
Setting default interface for multicase: add net 224.0.0.0: gateway
nameofcomputer
[ It hangs here indefinitely ]
"
Then I do a <Stop-A> and go into single user mode via a "boot -s"

Quote:> What operating system does it run? ------------------------------------

        - It runs SunOs 5.6

Quote:> > 2) I have a /etc/hosts file which contains :
> >                             127.0.0.1                localhost
> >                             66.149.xxx.xxx        nameofcomputer (where
the
> > x's are numbers)

> > On bootup, I get the error:
> >     "configuring network interfaces:ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: le0: Caannot
> > assign requested address"
> > What am I missing here.  I tried playing around with manually running
> > ifconfig but to no avail.

> 'no avail' isn't very descriptive.  Was the error the same as

above? -------------
    - Yes

Quote:> What are the output (or errors) of these commands?

ifconfig -a: ---------------------------------------------------------------
-----
        - le0: flags=849<UP, LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 832
          inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

          le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
          inet 66.149.xxx.xxx netmask fffffff8 broadcast 66.149.xxx.xxx
          ether 8:0:20:1d:xx:xx

    ( they x's are valid numbers)

Quote:> ifconfig le0 plumb 10.10.10.10

up --------------------------------------------
        - No error or output message from this command, but when I type
'ifconfig le0', I get this:

          le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
          inet 10.10.10.10 netmask fffffff8 broadcast 10.10.10.15
ether 8:0:20:1d:xx:xx

Quote:> grep 66

/etc/netmasks --------------------------------------------------------
        - 66.149.xxx.xxx    255.255.255.248

Quote:> wc -l

/etc/hostname.* --------------------------------------------------------
        - 1 /etc/hostname.le0

Is there another file which I need to configure?

 
 
 

ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

Post by Darren Dunha » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:25:49



> Another thing to mention is that my box hangs at bootup time around the
> follow messages
> " ...
> in.rdisc: No interfaces up
> starting routing daemon
> starting rpc services: rpcbind keyserv done.
> lo0: blah blah blah ...
> le0: blah blah blah ...
> Setting default interface for multicase: add net 224.0.0.0: gateway
> nameofcomputer
> [ It hangs here indefinitely ]
> "

What's the 'blah blah blah' bit?  Are you getting  the 'cannot assign'
error on lo0 also?

If so, it really looks like either some critical kernel component is
hosed in the system (if manual ifconfigs error), or that one of the
startup scripts has been munged to have an error in it.

If manual ifconfigs work okay, go look at the scripts.  Find the
ifconfig ones and run them by hand.  If you find the one that gives the
error, see if you can track down what's going wrong.  Execute it with
sh -x <script> to see how it's calling things.

Quote:>> ifconfig le0 plumb 10.10.10.10
> up --------------------------------------------
>         - No error or output message from this command, but when I type
> 'ifconfig le0', I get this:
>           le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>           inet 10.10.10.10 netmask fffffff8 broadcast 10.10.10.15
> ether 8:0:20:1d:xx:xx

Which looks normal, so it appears nothing's wrong with the kernel.

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

 
 
 

1. ifconfig le0 and ifconfig le1 show same MAC address

I have a Sun Sparc 5 with two ethernet cards installed.
They both seem to be working fine.  I recently needed to get the
MAC address off both ethernet cards.  Here are my results

AW5111# ifconfig le0
le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet X.X.8.67 netmask ffff0000 broadcast 151.128.255.255
        ether 8:0:20:7c:b8:47
AW5111# ifconfig le1
le1: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet X.X.147.5 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 199.164.147.255
        ether 8:0:20:7c:b8:47
AW5111#

(IP addresses were intentionally doctored)                        
Why do I not get two different ethernet MAC addresses?

Thanks,

2. Where are all the Linux ladies?

3. sco_cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address

4. xdos startup size and font

5. apache startup error: cannot assign requested address: make_sock.

6. Digitally signing a servlet

7. SATAN cannot assign requested address

8. CPAN question <<<<<<<

9. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

10. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)

11. Cannot Assign Requested Address ?

12. Cannot assign requested address

13. pppd demand dialing - ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)