Rewriting "From:" addresses

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

How do I rewrite my "From:" header to be different to the
default, using sendmail that comes standard with Solaris 2.6
(SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4, I think)?

For example, this sort of transformation:

(where "rich" is my username).  Receiving mail at the new
address is easy, of course, using aliases (which is how I
do it at the moment), but I'd like to re-write the "From:"
header.  I've looked in the Solaris 2.x and Sendmail FAQs,
but couldn't find anything (the latter does mention this
sort of thing, but I don't know how it applies to Sun's
sendmail).  I've also checked in the bat book.

At the moment, I'm not using NIS or NIS+ - just nsswitch.files,
so a solution that works with plain files would be great!

Many TIA,

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

Rewriting "From:" addresses

Post by hans maye » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

hi rich !

Quote:>How do I rewrite my "From:" header to be different to the
>default, using sendmail that comes standard with Solaris 2.6
>(SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4, I think)?

not with the delivered sendmail version.
the current version is 8.9.1 ( or 2 maybe )
look at www.sendmail.org
it's not very hard to compile and setup sendmail

--

Rewriting "From:" addresses

Post by Kyle Tuck » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>How do I rewrite my "From:" header to be different to the
>>default, using sendmail that comes standard with Solaris 2.6
>>(SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4, I think)?

> not with the delivered sendmail version.
> the current version is 8.9.1 ( or 2 maybe )
> look at www.sendmail.org
> it's not very hard to compile and setup sendmail

Or get the sendmail patch (105395-03 for 2.6) which gives you 8.8.8 and
the m4 config hiearchy. You can then use the features in the bat book
for header rewrites; genericstable in your case.

--
- Kyle
UNIX Sys Admin - Presently contracting, always looking

Rewriting "From:" addresses

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Or get the sendmail patch (105395-03 for 2.6) which gives you 8.8.8 and
> the m4 config hiearchy. You can then use the features in the bat book
> for header rewrites; genericstable in your case.

Aha!  That's exactly what I was after!  Thanks a lot.

Let's hope so...