sendmail patches no longer recommended for Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6?

sendmail patches no longer recommended for Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6?

Post by Paul Egge » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Recently Sun stopped recommending the following sendmail patches,
i.e. these patches are no longer listed in the public_patch_report file
dated 1999-03-09.  What gives?  I had assumed that these patches were
essential for inhibiting spam (among other things).

103594-16   SunOS 5.5.1: /usr/lib/sendmail fixes
103595-16   SunOS 5.5.1_x86: /usr/lib/sendmail fixes
105395-03   SunOS 5.6: /usr/lib/sendmail patch
105396-03   SunOS 5.6_x86: /usr/lib/sendmail patch

Post by martin+use.. » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> In article http://x8.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=453599030,

>> Recently Sun stopped recommending the following sendmail patches,
>> i.e. these patches are no longer listed in the public_patch_report file
>> dated 1999-03-09.  What gives?  I had assumed that these patches were
>> essential for inhibiting spam (among other things).

to answer the original question - seems like this was an accident,
the patches are back (newer releases).

Quote:> I believe these patches were simply to upgrade the SUN sendmail to 8.8.8+SUN.

> Solaris 7 was shipping with 8.9.1b, and 8.9.3 is freely available from
> http://sendmail.org

even if you will replace sendmail that comes with OS with the most
recent version it makes sense to install the sendmail patch. If you
take a look at the patch README for 105395 you'll see that it not
only replaces the sendmail binary, but also e.g. vacation and mail.local
to fix bugs with them. You will not fix them by simply replacing
sendmail.

I'm usually doing it like this: Have a script which installs the
most recent sendmail (and sendmail.cf) for you. If a newer sendmail
patch arrives, simply install it and re-run your script to put
your self-compiled sendmail in place again.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

                and Parallel Systems | Tel: 01-3105608-84
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Fax: 01-3105608-88

sendmail patches no longer recommended for Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6?

Post by Robert Sin » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I, personally, have always just simply ditched the Sun sendmail
distribution, excluded any further sendmail patches and have installed
the publically available sendmail from sendmail.org (present version
8.9.3).

I find this to be a much more customizable solution in terms of
antirelay/antispam (such as Vixie's RBL, etc..) in terms that you have
access to the cf generation process, versus dealing with a
pre-configured .cf file as is the case with Sun.

To each their own, I reckon.

--

Robert Sink - Asst. Dept. Head - Computer/Network Services
Univ. of Maryland Chesapeake Biological Laboratory - Solomons, MD.

> Hi, I like to comment on this issue, Normally whenever I go on a customer
> site to do rec+y2k patching, I never put in sendmail patches. Reason is
> because once you patch SUN sendmail(8.6), it brings the binary up to 8.8.8
> and replaces your customised sendmail.cf file. Also 8.8.8 will not work
> properly with 8.6 sendmail.cf(mail will start bouncing everywhere). If you
> want to use 8.8.8, or you want to recommend, please warn users that they have
> to recustomise the sendmail.cf file again.

[...]

Post by Lars Heckin » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm usually doing it like this: Have a script which installs the
> most recent sendmail (and sendmail.cf) for you. If a newer sendmail
> patch arrives, simply install it and re-run your script to put
> your self-compiled sendmail in place again.

 And fix the permissions of /etc /etc/mail.

1. uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

I had download .tar file from sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/sun-patches
and tried to use uncompress, tar or gunzip but it didn't extract the
file.
I wondered anybody out there know how to uncompress/extract this file.
Please advice. Thanks so much

The file has its name as: 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

Regards

2. serial port connect

3. Solaris 2.6 and Recommended patch Cluster 1999.02.10

4. DMA problem fallback to PIO mode?

5. rm6.1 solaris 2.6 - recommended patches ?

6. subscribe me

7. Solaris 2.6 Recommended Patches

8. know of a How-to for embedded Linux??

9. Solaris 2.6 Recommended Patch Cluster

10. redraw problems with m64 since 8/99 recommended patch cluster (sol 2.6)?

11. 2.6 rpcbind problem after latest recommended patches?

12. 2.6 Recommended patches error

13. Old Patch Solaris 2.6 patches for Gauntlet firewall.