print to remote queue and spool/filter local?

print to remote queue and spool/filter local?

Post by Frank Fische » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I have a Lexmark Marknet printing-box with 3 local queue's. So, my problem
is to spool and filter on my printserver (Solaris 2.7) and send the job to
a remote queue. I know that the remote printing is down by "netpr",
but I can't figure out, how to tell this program which queue to use. I
I don't even know if there is any possibility to use "netpr" for this
purpose. After a long search, I didn't find any documentation and just the
advice to use lprng, which I will do, when there is no solution for the
Solaris printing system.

Bye,
Frank.

--
//   Frank Fischer                                                      //

//   Sysadmin of different Computersystems                              //

print to remote queue and spool/filter local?

Post by Norm Jacob » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The answerbook describes how to configure support for network attached
printers.
It recommends using vendor supplied software to drive the printer if it
exists.

230)#PRINTSETUP-33230?

445)#PRINTSETUP-42445?

The short  form:

    # lpadmin -p printer -v /dev/null -m netstandard -o protocol=bsd -o
dest=hostname:queuename
or
    # lpadmin -p printer -v /dev/null -m netstandard -o protocol=tcp -o
dest=hostname:portnumber

    # accept printer
    # enable printer

            -Norm

Quote:> Hi!

> I have a Lexmark Marknet printing-box with 3 local queue's. So, my problem
> is to spool and filter on my printserver (Solaris 2.7) and send the job to
> a remote queue. I know that the remote printing is down by "netpr",
> but I can't figure out, how to tell this program which queue to use. I
> I don't even know if there is any possibility to use "netpr" for this
> purpose. After a long search, I didn't find any documentation and just the
> advice to use lprng, which I will do, when there is no solution for the
> Solaris printing system.

1. Sequential Redundant Spooling (remote queue that is a remote queue)

I have a XCd print queue box plugged into a Tek printer and three
Suns.  The XCd box acts as a Unix host with the Tek connected to its
printer port.  The Suns are named c1, c2, & c3 (for discussion).  The
c1 system acts as the main host (serving software, etc.).  The XCd box
cannot handle too many systems trying to talk to it, so I set it up on
c1 as a remote queue.  My hope was to have c1 be the funnel point for
data so only one system was talking to the XCd box.  The c2 and c3
system will spool to the c1 system first then dump to the XCd.  The
GUI admintool asks for the remote host name and the name of the LOCAL
queue name on that remote host.  This not my case.  I want to call out
a remote queue that is a remote queue.  Suggestionsare greatly
appreciated.  (email)

Jeff Francis

2. cscope et al

3. Best way to spool and filter print jobs for remote printer?

4. How to run program when connecting via voice line?

5. Input filter with remote print queue?

6. Solaris 8/NCA problems

7. Solution (Re: lpd challenge: remote printing with local filtering)

8. Setting the time zone

9. LPR: filters on local box, remote printing possible ?

10. lpd challenge: remote printing with local filtering

11. Remote printing using local filter, specify printer

12. Q: Printing remote, filtering local

13. Remote print queue/queue device definitions