Default color depth & Blackbox WM

Post by Dan Smit » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:24:33

First off, I thought I had my Xserver running with 24-bit color as the
default.  When I run xdpyinfo, it tells me that the default visual is
0x20 (which in the list is an 8-bit visual).  Does this in fact mean
that I'm running in 8-bit mode as default?  I've tried starting my
Xsun with "defdepth 24" and "defclass TrueColor", both give the same
xdpyinfo as running Xsun plain.  Am I reading it wrong?

(U30,C3D)

This was brought on by me trying to get BlackBox Window Manager to run
on my machine.  I can login to my machine from another box (16-bit
color is default as shown by xdpyinfo) and blackbox works fine.  If I
login on the console, blackbox's colors are all funky and distorted
(can't read anything).  Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Thanks!

--Dan

Post by Robert Sherm » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:17:32

> First off, I thought I had my Xserver running with 24-bit color as the
> default.  When I run xdpyinfo, it tells me that the default visual is
> 0x20 (which in the list is an 8-bit visual).  Does this in fact mean
> that I'm running in 8-bit mode as default?  I've tried starting my
> Xsun with "defdepth 24" and "defclass TrueColor", both give the same
> xdpyinfo as running Xsun plain.  Am I reading it wrong?

> (U30,C3D)

> This was brought on by me trying to get BlackBox Window Manager to run
> on my machine.  I can login to my machine from another box (16-bit
> color is default as shown by xdpyinfo) and blackbox works fine.  If I
> login on the console, blackbox's colors are all funky and distorted
> (can't read anything).  Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

check out the framebuffer FAQ:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

there you can get the fbinfo script to find out what fb you have
(if you do not know), and info on what config program to use...

on my ultra 10 i used m64config to set color depth...(PGX fb)

i run blackbox, and it does look like *with 8-bit...looks fine
with 24-bit.

hth,

--
robert sherman
css3, school of civil and environmental engineering

1. kde & kdm default color depth

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to set the default color depth for kdm to 16bpp?
I have been starting X from the command prompt with startx -- -bpp 16,
but I can't find the script that initializes kde from kdm and am only
getting about 256 colours which looks terrible.
I am using rh6.0 hedwig with their supplied version of kde.
tia!
Tony.

2. WANTED: DNS mini-HOWTO, someone to look at draft

3. Default Color Depth

4. am i the only one having a problem with sysinstall on 4.1-s

5. How to setup default color depth in X?

6. Still trying to make things work

7. Changing default color depth.

8. controller information

9. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

10. default color depth on Sol2.6/SPARC?

11. Changing the default color depth...

12. Default color depth

13. Changeing Default Color Startup Depth