Inn news server: nnrpd processes don't exit

Inn news server: nnrpd processes don't exit

Post by Juan Angel Menende » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

    I'm running Inn 2.2 (21-Jan-1999) on a Sparc 5 with 192MB memory under
Solaris 2.6.

    Sometimes, nnrpd processes don't get killed after readers (users) close
the connection so the CPU goes 0% idle as more users get connected.
    They stay as 'sleep' processes (not zombie) until some shell script I
made kill them.

    I switched to cnfs storage method, I don't know if this has to do with
it. I wonder if this can be solved changing inn version or just changing
some configuration option. I already tried less connection timeout for
clients, but didn't seem to work.

Thanks in advancel

Post by Toomas Soom » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

:     I'm running Inn 2.2 (21-Jan-1999) on a Sparc 5 with 192MB memory under
: Solaris 2.6.

:     Sometimes, nnrpd processes don't get killed after readers (users) close
: the connection so the CPU goes 0% idle as more users get connected.
:     They stay as 'sleep' processes (not zombie) until some shell script I
: made kill them.

this is problem with useing syslog() in signal handler. you can check this
with /usr/proc/bin/pstack nnrpd_pid. if so, the fix is simple -
replace current body of sigpipe handler with single line : _exit(1);
_exit() is legal to be used in signal handler. this issue is reported to ISC,
but no response and no fix.....

toomas soome
Tartu University, Estonia
--
Immature poets imitate, mature poets steal.
                -- T.S. Eliot, "Philip Massinger"

1. INN with an INN uplink using NNRPD server

        I am currently running Leafnode 1.4-7. and I am  NOT a Happy
Klingon. Every now and then their server will not let me post an artical
Leafnode bombs with error 441 and 400 errors. As sometimes they want
my password and sometimes they want my username. IT seems Leafnode is
not too smart to figure the equation   out of what is wanted.
        They are running Inn  ver 1.4 but they are using the nnrpd
server, not the nntpd server, can a downlink Inn 1.4 talk sucessfully
with an inn system using nnrpd? I do not relish the aggrevation of
dealing with inn 1.4 but I got it. and they (SNET INTERNET) are using
the same thing, IF I put inn up. can my system talk to theirs??  and
for my local use. can I use the nntpd module and disable authentication so
programs such as SLRN or pine or TRN or RN will work with the news system?
or would Cnews be a better choice for someone that has about 200MB of space
free on their Hard drive  network. (System spans 3 Scsi Hds. two 380mb and
one 40mb (which is swap only)). I read the inn setup instructions. one hell
of an ugly job I should say.
        I also and considering putting another 80mb Scsi and possibly a
72mb MFM drive also online.
        Another fine question. is, how can I get a list of newsgroups and
descriptions? I would like to  have this list. its similar to the fidonet
BACKBONE.NA file. and I like to browse it for interesting   computer groups
to read.
--
                                B'ichela
When a Klingon  goes to Linux.  It means one must respect the Klingons

2. General Linux Kernel question

3. INN works, nnrpd doesn't! HELP!

4. Newbie Boot Messages Part II

5. Apache: child processes don't exit

6. hostname not found ??

7. Setting up a news server (C News or INN)

8. Logiscan - driver

9. INN/nntp - news server for internal news?

10. The INN news server won't work

11. ksh: trap '...' exit int ... or just trap '...' exit?

12. nnrpd going berserk (INN-1.5.1sec2, Linux pre-2.0.31-9)

13. INN nntp posting with in.nnrpd -> Segmentation fault