home ultra 10 crazy CDE stunt?

Post by Chris Morga » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:27:03

Hi all,

  I just got an Ultra 10 Elite 3D box for home. For now I don't have a
  13w3 adapter so I can only use the pgx24 graphics (not great) (had
  to take out the Elite 3D card - what a monster!).

  I was just wondering, can I get it to manage a display on a linux
  box?

  I have a decent linux box on my network with geforce 256 DDR
  graphics and I was wondering can I get it to run two x servers, one
  managed by KDE for using Linux, and one where it runs the x server
  but the window manager is run on the sun box over the network?

  I know in the past I've used an X terminal which ran the X server
  but mwm was run on the host computer, which was Solaris 2.4, but
  that "just worked" so I never learnt how.

  Of course I know I can remotely display individual apps, but I
  really would like to get the entire desktop moved across...

  Any tips appreciated!

  Thanks

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
      Temp sig. - Enquire within

Post by Tan Zheng D » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:44:52

> > Hi all,

> >   I just got an Ultra 10 Elite 3D box for home. For now I don't have a
> >   13w3 adapter so I can only use the pgx24 graphics (not great) (had
> >   to take out the Elite 3D card - what a monster!).

> >   I was just wondering, can I get it to manage a display on a linux
> >   box?

> >   I have a decent linux box on my network with geforce 256 DDR
> >   graphics and I was wondering can I get it to run two x servers, one
> >   managed by KDE for using Linux, and one where it runs the x server
> >   but the window manager is run on the sun box over the network?

> >   I know in the past I've used an X terminal which ran the X server
> >   but mwm was run on the host computer, which was Solaris 2.4, but
> >   that "just worked" so I never learnt how.

> >   Of course I know I can remotely display individual apps, but I
> >   really would like to get the entire desktop moved across...

> >   Any tips appreciated!

> >   Thanks

> > Chris

> > --
> > Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
> >       Temp sig. - Enquire within

> [linux]$ X -query Ultra10

> Setting the linux X server to 24 bit color will allow Java GUI apps to
> display properly as well.  If you don't run Java GUI apps, 16 bit color
> will do.

> --
> tzd.

Oh, and to run multiple X servers, you have to specify :1, :2,

e.g.
[linux]$ startx
(KDE on localhost starts)
[linux]$ X -query Ultra10 :1
(CDE on Ultra10 starts)

or,
[linux]$ X -query Ultra 10
[linux]$ startx -- :1

--
tzd.

home ultra 10 crazy CDE stunt?

Post by Brian Mille » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:16:57

Doesn't the Elite 3D use aUPA slot?

Brian Miller
Email addresses have been changed to protect the innocent.

> > > Hi all,

> > >   I just got an Ultra 10 Elite 3D box for home. For now I don't have a
> > >   13w3 adapter so I can only use the pgx24 graphics (not great) (had
> > >   to take out the Elite 3D card - what a monster!).

> > >   I was just wondering, can I get it to manage a display on a linux
> > >   box?

> > >   I have a decent linux box on my network with geforce 256 DDR
> > >   graphics and I was wondering can I get it to run two x servers, one
> > >   managed by KDE for using Linux, and one where it runs the x server
> > >   but the window manager is run on the sun box over the network?

> > >   I know in the past I've used an X terminal which ran the X server
> > >   but mwm was run on the host computer, which was Solaris 2.4, but
> > >   that "just worked" so I never learnt how.

> > >   Of course I know I can remotely display individual apps, but I
> > >   really would like to get the entire desktop moved across...

> > >   Any tips appreciated!

> > >   Thanks

> > > Chris

> > > --
> > > Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>

http://www.mihalis.net

Quote:> > >       Temp sig. - Enquire within

Post by Tan Zheng D » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:42:09

> Hi all,

>   I just got an Ultra 10 Elite 3D box for home. For now I don't have a
>   13w3 adapter so I can only use the pgx24 graphics (not great) (had
>   to take out the Elite 3D card - what a monster!).

>   I was just wondering, can I get it to manage a display on a linux
>   box?

>   I have a decent linux box on my network with geforce 256 DDR
>   graphics and I was wondering can I get it to run two x servers, one
>   managed by KDE for using Linux, and one where it runs the x server
>   but the window manager is run on the sun box over the network?

>   I know in the past I've used an X terminal which ran the X server
>   but mwm was run on the host computer, which was Solaris 2.4, but
>   that "just worked" so I never learnt how.

>   Of course I know I can remotely display individual apps, but I
>   really would like to get the entire desktop moved across...

>   Any tips appreciated!

>   Thanks

> Chris

> --
> Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
>       Temp sig. - Enquire within

[linux]$ X -query Ultra10

Setting the linux X server to 24 bit color will allow Java GUI apps to
display properly as well.  If you don't run Java GUI apps, 16 bit color
will do.

--
tzd.

home ultra 10 crazy CDE stunt?

Post by Chris Morga » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 06:34:17

Quote:> [linux]$ X -query Ultra10

> Setting the linux X server to 24 bit color will allow Java GUI apps to
> display properly as well.  If you don't run Java GUI apps, 16 bit color
> will do.

Thanks very much, that worked.

Chris
--

Post by Dennis Clark » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:22:58

> Doesn't the Elite 3D use aUPA slot?

Yes ... but that isn't relevant here.

Still a * big framebuffer to remove!  :)

home ultra 10 crazy CDE stunt?

Post by Stefaan A Eeckel » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:52:19

On 16 Dec 2001 23:22:41 -0500

> > Still a * big framebuffer to remove!  :)

> Indeed, however it's not as big as the SunPCi I also found inside the
> machine when I opened it up. It's a 400MHz, so actually comparable to
> the main cpu, but i'm not sure I can be bothered with it... hmmm,
> maybe linux...

Don't you for a moment think that a 400MHz AMD K6-2 is even close to
a SPARC running at a similar clock rate. I've got an Ultra 60/360 with
a 500MHz SunPCi, and the AMD is less than half the speed of the SPARC
(using 'R' and setiathome).

--
Stefaan (GPG Fingerprint 25D8 551B 4C0F BF73 3283 21F1 5978 D158 7539 76E4)
--

1. my Ultra 10 is getting crazy...

Hi,

i've an Ultra 10 with Solaris 8 installed.
but if i try to boot the machine, i get lots or errors...
there is something like this:

/sbin/rcS: /dev/null: cannot create
WARNING: /proc could not be mounted
/sbin/swapadd: /dev/null: cannot create
configureing IPv4 interfaces: ifconfig: plumb: none: Bad file number
/usr/bin/ps: getexecname() failed

at the cde-login screen, the machine doesn't know his hostname and it
hangs,
when i try to log in.
A command-line login is succesfull, but the ifconfig prints:

# ifconfig hme0
ifconfig: status SIOCGLIFFLAGS: hme0 no such interface

telnet, ftp and ping don't work for the own ip-adress.

There is no hardware fault, because i can boot from the Solaris-CD and
the network
is working fine.
can i solve this problem without reinstalling the complete OS???

Thanks for any help

Julian

2. Help, Redhat won't install!

3. on an ultra-10 with cde, where is the console?

4. USB multi-port hubs

5. Configuring an Ultra 5 with Solaris 10 to make router/firewall in my home net ;)

6. Printing problem

7. Ultra 5 versus Ultra 10

8. samba: share modes, deny_none, deny_write

9. Ultra 10 / Ultra 60

10. Ultra 5 / Ultra 10 - how to compare remotely

11. Ultra 10 vs Ultra 60

12. upgrade from Ultra-2 to Ultra-10, and Solaris 2.6 to 2.7

13. Ultra 10 Vs Ultra 30