Principles of Operation / SPARC Architecture Manual ?

Principles of Operation / SPARC Architecture Manual ?

Post by Mike Horli » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Hello,

I am a newbie Sun Sys Admin but an old IBM mainframe systems
programmer. As such, I am  curious on arcane topics such as
assembler language and the workings of the machine(s) I work on. On
the IBM mainframe there is the 'IBM/370 Principle of Operations'
book and I notice for the SUN they refer to the 'SPARC Architecture
Manual (Version 8 and Version 9)'. I ordered the complete set of
manuals and I notice this book is missing.
It also doesn't appear on the web site 'docs.sun.com'

Does anyone have any knowledge of the contents of this book? Would
it be too difficult  to understand being very technical or are there
other books out there better? As well, the 'SPARC Assembly Language
Reference Manual' is pretty lean. Any good books there?

Finally, is this at all worthwhile to pursue? Are these skills at
all useful at the practical level? I am managing an E5000 computer
and soon an E450.

I would appreciate any info, suggestions, experiences,etc... If
replying, please reply to my e-mail address as well as the
newsgroup.

Thank you

Mike Horlick

Canadian Marconi Company
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
514-748-3000 Ext 4742

 
 
 

Principles of Operation / SPARC Architecture Manual ?

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> book and I notice for the SUN they refer to the 'SPARC Architecture
> Manual (Version 8 and Version 9)'. I ordered the complete set of
> manuals and I notice this book is missing.
> It also doesn't appear on the web site 'docs.sun.com'

They're published by SPARC International, www.sparc.com.

Quote:> Does anyone have any knowledge of the contents of this book? Would
> it be too difficult  to understand being very technical or are there

They're the definitive reference books (I have a copy of each);
as to their difficulty: I guess that depends on how comfortable
with assembler you are.

Quote:> Finally, is this at all worthwhile to pursue? Are these skills at
> all useful at the practical level? I am managing an E5000 computer
> and soon an E450.

Very unlikely, unless you want to become a complete SPARC geek,
and/or analyse kernel crash dumps!  If, however, you want to
program in SPARC assembler, then yeah, they're pretty good.

HTH,

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.


Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

 
 
 

Principles of Operation / SPARC Architecture Manual ?

Post by James E. Stin » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00


The manuals are very computer software oriented.  No
hardware diagrams or block diagrams at that.  But it
did help me sort some of the issues at with the datapath
handling of exceptions.  Its good to have.

James Stine


> Hello,

> I am a newbie Sun Sys Admin but an old IBM mainframe systems
> programmer. As such, I am  curious on arcane topics such as
> assembler language and the workings of the machine(s) I work on. On
> the IBM mainframe there is the 'IBM/370 Principle of Operations'
> book and I notice for the SUN they refer to the 'SPARC Architecture
> Manual (Version 8 and Version 9)'. I ordered the complete set of
> manuals and I notice this book is missing.
> It also doesn't appear on the web site 'docs.sun.com'

> Does anyone have any knowledge of the contents of this book? Would
> it be too difficult  to understand being very technical or are there
> other books out there better? As well, the 'SPARC Assembly Language
> Reference Manual' is pretty lean. Any good books there?

> Finally, is this at all worthwhile to pursue? Are these skills at
> all useful at the practical level? I am managing an E5000 computer
> and soon an E450.

> I would appreciate any info, suggestions, experiences,etc... If
> replying, please reply to my e-mail address as well as the
> newsgroup.

> Thank you

> Mike Horlick

> Canadian Marconi Company
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
> 514-748-3000 Ext 4742