Jumpstart profile requires a cluster, how can I avoid this?

Jumpstart profile requires a cluster, how can I avoid this?

Post by Mik » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:29:21

Hi, I am trying automate a restore without going through a cluster
installation first. But I also want to use the jumpstart 'profile'
option, to initialize a server's disk and partitions. So a bare-metal
restore would jumpstart, run sysidcfg for the network, and profile to
setup the disks, and a finish script run a restore. How can I not have
a cluster installed during the profile's execution?

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:00:14

> Hi, I am trying automate a restore without going through a cluster
> installation first. But I also want to use the jumpstart 'profile'
> option, to initialize a server's disk and partitions. So a bare-metal
> restore would jumpstart, run sysidcfg for the network, and profile to
> setup the disks, and a finish script run a restore. How can I not have
> a cluster installed during the profile's execution?

If you want profile, you get a cluster.  So...

Option 1) Don't use a profile/cluster but do the partitioning "by hand"
during the preinstall phase.

Option 2) Use a profile, but install the SUNWCreq (tiny) cluster.  It
shouldn't take long, and you can just erase it in the postinstall phase
if you want.

Option 3) Don't use "classic" jumpstart at all, but use flash install.
Let it reconstruct the image for you with no cluster installs.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Jumpstart profile requires a cluster, how can I avoid this?

Post by Joe Blogg » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:24:00

Option 4) Don't use a cluster, don't even have a finish script.  Just have a
begin script which does what you're after.  Sometimes used to 'dd' a disk
image from a jumpstart server in super-quick time.  Similar to the flash
install in option 3 though, see man flarcreate

> > Hi, I am trying automate a restore without going through a cluster
> > installation first. But I also want to use the jumpstart 'profile'
> > option, to initialize a server's disk and partitions. So a bare-metal
> > restore would jumpstart, run sysidcfg for the network, and profile to
> > setup the disks, and a finish script run a restore. How can I not have
> > a cluster installed during the profile's execution?

> If you want profile, you get a cluster.  So...

> Option 1) Don't use a profile/cluster but do the partitioning "by hand"
> during the preinstall phase.

> Option 2) Use a profile, but install the SUNWCreq (tiny) cluster.  It
> shouldn't take long, and you can just erase it in the postinstall phase
> if you want.

> Option 3) Don't use "classic" jumpstart at all, but use flash install.
> Let it reconstruct the image for you with no cluster installs.

> --

> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>           < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

1. How to avoid X configuration when using Jumpstart (x86)?

All right, so I've managed to pretty much get everything hands-off
with regards to a jumpstart install, down to one last problem. When
the system I'm installing reboots at the end of the install, it always
reboots into kdmconfig, forcing me to hit F4 (Well, Esc-4 actually) to
get it to continue. (Note: This is NOT the "Warning, your x
configuration may not be correct!" message that only stays for 30
seconds. This is also NOT the configuration assistant.)

I'm figuring there must be a file somewhere that either gets touched a
la /reconfigure, or there's a file somewhere that gets created, that
tells kdmconfig to execute on boot. I'm guessing the former because I
never have to actually go through the config, just F4 out of the first
screen and I never see it again.These are headless stations, so I
don't care if X works or not. Anyone have any idea?

The other small annoyance is I try to use dtconfig to shut off desktop
login in the finish script (i.e. /a/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d) but it
doesn't 'stick' -- My guess is it tries to create a file and does so,
but doesn't create it under /a, so when he reboots and root is mounted
in the proper place the file's not there. No big deal, but thought I'd
comment in case anyone knows that one.

2. Solaris 10 and xAPPS

3. Avoiding the /etc/profile stp

4. monitor or email output

5. remove SUN cluster without avoid services.

6. Newest Ext3 code for 2.4.x

7. 2.6 Jumpstart Profile - to mount /usr/dt

8. malloc

9. Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

10. x86 jumpstart profile

11. jumpstarting with a profile server

12. jumpstart profile

13. Jumpstart Client doesn't see the profile