floppy drive and volume manager

Post by Joe Picone - The Terminal Ma » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am having trouble getting the floopy drive to work
on Solaris 2.5 on my laptop.

The CD works fine (insert the CD, the filesystem is mounted
in /cdrom, I can cd to it, and eject the disk).

When I insert a blank or formatted floppy however, nothing appears
in /floppy.

I seem to be able to format a blank floppy using fdformat.
Volcheck seems to be able to detect that there is a floppy in the drive.
However, tar (or cp) to a file on /floppy doesn't write to the floppy.

I'd like to determine if this is yet another hardware incompatibility
problem (the laptop is a Samsung Sens 810), or a software/configuration
problem.

Thanks.

-Joe Picone

Post by Hans Werner Stru » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: I am having trouble getting the floopy drive to work
: on Solaris 2.5 on my laptop.

: The CD works fine (insert the CD, the filesystem is mounted
: in /cdrom, I can cd to it, and eject the disk).

: When I insert a blank or formatted floppy however, nothing appears
: in /floppy.

: I seem to be able to format a blank floppy using fdformat.
: Volcheck seems to be able to detect that there is a floppy in the drive.
: However, tar (or cp) to a file on /floppy doesn't write to the floppy.

After formatting, eject floppy, then push it in again. It will be mounted
under /floppy/<label> with symlink /floppy/floppy0 .

--

 Drittes Physikalisches Institut,  Univ. Goettingen
 Buergerstr. 42-44,   D-37073 Goettingen,   Germany

1. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

Hi

I have an Enterprise 450 with Solaris 2.6 loaded and a A1000 disk
array attached to it. Right now, the Sun Storage Volume Manager is
installed and all the file systems are created with volume manager.

I am trying to install Solaris 2.8 on a new disk I placed internally
into the 450, so that I can dual boot the system to either 2.6 or 2.8.
However I just found out that I don't have the media for the Volume
Manager and now I am stuck. If I boot into Solaris 2.8, is there
anyway I can mount those file systems created under Solaris 2.6 using
Volume Manager? I tried to copy over those vx drivers and files,
recreated the devices files using mknod but has not been able to bring
up Volume Manager under 2.8.

Is there anything else I can try so that I can mount those file system
when I boot into Solaris 2.8?

Thanks
ling

2. ipx routing in freebsd

3. Difference between veritas volume manager and Sun StorEdge volume manager?

4. CDE Problems

5. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

6. expect script for ftp hangs !

7. Sun Volume Manager/Veritas Volume Manager

8. question about solaris/CDE/console text mode

9. (Issue) Upgrade from Sun Enterprise Volume Manager to Veritas Volume Manager

10. Solaris 9 volume manager OR Veritas volume manager ?

11. Solaris9 Volume Manager Vs Veritas Volume Manager

12. Veritas Volume Manager vs Sun Volume Manager

13. (Issue) Upgrade from Sun Enterprise Volume Manager to Veritas Volume Manager