Telnet Last login message

Post by Jim Steenhoe » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I just started new job and they telnet, yes I know I'm working on
getting ssh installed.   But in the mean time some of the users don't
like the fact that other people see their IP address in the Last Login
time.  Why I'm not really sure why they don't like it.

But my question is; is their any way to turn that message off when you
login using telnet.  Also will I have the same issue when I switch to
ssh?

Thanks
Jim S*hoek

Before you buy.

Telnet Last login message

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:04:28

>I just started new job and they telnet, yes I know I'm working on
>getting ssh installed.   But in the mean time some of the users don't
>like the fact that other people see their IP address in the Last Login
>time.  Why I'm not really sure why they don't like it.

>But my question is; is their any way to turn that message off when you
>login using telnet.  Also will I have the same issue when I switch to
>ssh?

How well does the command "touch $HOME/.hushlogin" do for these users?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Telnet Last login message

Post by Jim Steenhoe » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks that works great.  I little to easy.

> >I just started new job and they telnet, yes I know I'm working on
> >getting ssh installed.   But in the mean time some of the users don't
> >like the fact that other people see their IP address in the Last
> >time.  Why I'm not really sure why they don't like it.

> >But my question is; is their any way to turn that message off when
you
> >login using telnet.  Also will I have the same issue when I switch to
> >ssh?

> How well does the command "touch $HOME/.hushlogin" do for these users?

>   -Greg
> --

> I have a map of the United States that's actual size
>             -- Steven Wright

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

Is there anyway to login to an account 'as a normal user' without your
login getting recorded into the last login file.

I know that this is a binary file and no one could re-write it. Moreover,
I know that .hushlogin file could also be created in /etc and that would
tell the system not to record the current login, but you would have to be
GOD (root) to be able to create that file in /etc

So, I would appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer on this
matter.

**     WILLIAM GHORISHI                                           **
**     DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO      **

**     URL          :   http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~93ghoris/    **
**     BELIEF       :   "GOD IS REAL, UNLESS CAST TO AN INTEGER!" **

2. forward first N lines with headers intact

3. Last user login message

4. Network problem need help

5. How do I get last to report last login time.

6. MICROSOFT is NOT a MONOPOLY !

7. Telnet slow login message

8. Large Streams Buffers

9. Telnet login Messages

10. Telnet login message

11. where are telnet/ftp login message?

12. Screen-size message PRIOR to login for serial & telnet users

13. Ftp and telnet login message