Disk installation

Post by Niklas Colli » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem with a disk installation:

We have 2 Disks and a CD-ROM connected to a SPARC 10 via SCSI. I
tried to add an ultra scsi disk to the chain but then I couldn't even
boot the machine. I tried to boot the extra disk on ID nrs: 8,4 and
3.

These are the SCSI ID nrs of the original 3 disks:

Disk 1: 0
Disk 2: 2
CD-ROM: 6

I dunno about the internal Disk.

Is it possible that the # of disks is to many and we need another
SCSI adapter?

Regards, NIklas.
Love is like he ozone-layer. You don't miss it until it's gone.

Niklas Collin
Ugglev?gen 32A
13144 Nacka

Tel: 08-7164543

Disk installation

Post by Chris Kohari » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a problem with a disk installation:

> We have 2 Disks and a CD-ROM connected to a SPARC 10 via SCSI. I
> tried to add an ultra scsi disk to the chain but then I couldn't even
> boot the machine. I tried to boot the extra disk on ID nrs: 8,4 and
> 3.

> These are the SCSI ID nrs of the original 3 disks:

> Disk 1: 0
> Disk 2: 2
> CD-ROM: 6

> I dunno about the internal Disk.

> Is it possible that the # of disks is to many and we need another
> SCSI adapter?

> Regards, NIklas.
> Love is like he ozone-layer. You don't miss it until it's gone.

> Niklas Collin
> Ugglev?gen 32A
> 13144 Nacka

> Tel: 08-7164543

I'm no hardware expert but will the Ultra SCSI disk work on the 10's SCSI-2
controller?

--
Chris Koharik

Disk installation

:>
:> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:> Love is like he ozone-layer. You don't miss it until it's gone.
:>
:> Niklas Collin
:> Ugglev?gen 32A
:> 13144 Nacka
:>
:> Tel: 08-7164543

:>
:>

: I'm no hardware expert but will the Ultra SCSI disk work on the 10's SCSI-2
: controller?

: --
: Chris Koharik

Did you try "probe-scsi" at the  ok prompt? How many SCSI devices do you see?

What OS are U running?

If SunOS 4.x.x, then by default you can't have more than 4 disks on the
system.
You'll need to change & rebuild kernel appropriately.

Not sure if UltraSCSI disks are supported on SS-10 but
putting the UltraSCSI disk on the built-in controller will give you the
low perforamnce of SCSI-2 only .

Cheers,

Raman Garg                      Sr. UNIX/ClearCase System Administrator
Oracle Corporation              *..Remove NOSPAM from mail to reply..*
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent
those of my employer Oracle Corporation ( or for that matter my own :-)

Disk installation

Post by Niklas Colli » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> :> These are the SCSI ID nrs of the original 3 disks:
> :>
> :> Disk 1: 0
> :> Disk 2: 2
> :> CD-ROM: 6
> Did you try "probe-scsi" at the  ok prompt? How many SCSI devices do you see?

Well, no because when i connect the new Ultra SCSI disk to the chain,
i cannot boot! It looks for the drive or something indefinetly.

Quote:> What OS are you running?

Solaris 2.5.1

Quote:> You'll need to change & rebuild kernel appropriately.

:) I really i hope this isn't necessary! I don't think so!

It worked on a SPARC 4!

Quote:> low perforamnce of SCSI-2 only .

Well, it's my boss who bought the disk. I just wanna get it working
so i can do other things!

Regards, Niklas.

Quote:

Post by Stephanie Johnso » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a problem with a disk installation:

> We have 2 Disks and a CD-ROM connected to a SPARC 10 via SCSI. I
> tried to add an ultra scsi disk to the chain but then I couldn't even
> boot the machine. I tried to boot the extra disk on ID nrs: 8,4 and
> 3.

> These are the SCSI ID nrs of the original 3 disks:

> Disk 1: 0
> Disk 2: 2
> CD-ROM: 6

> I dunno about the internal Disk.

> Is it possible that the # of disks is to many and we need another
> SCSI adapter?

> Regards, NIklas.
> Love is like he ozone-layer. You don't miss it until it's gone.

> Niklas Collin
> Ugglev?gen 32A
> 13144 Nacka

> Tel: 08-7164543

At the ok prompt type "probe-scsi-all" to see if the system recognize the disk.

Stephanie

1. "sda: unsupported sector size 2068" booting after new SCSI disk installation

Can anyone point me in the direction of information about what sector
size my SCSI drive should use, and how to change it?  I've looked
through all the HOWTOs that sounded relevant and just can't figure
this one out.  From what I gather, disk geometry is not as great a
concern with SCSI disks as it is with IDE.

I'm trying to add a new SCSI hard drive.  I'm convinced I have the bus
set up and terminated properly.  I ran a low-level format from the
(Advansys ABP940-UA) SCSI BIOS configuration menu, and there were no
options besides pick a disk and go.  After several hours, that
completed without reporting any errors.  Now, whether I boot with my
normal configuration (with which I could boot fine before; SCSI host
adapter, CDR, and all), or straight off the (Red Hat 5.1) distribution
CD, I only get as far as the following message:

sda: unsupported sector size 2068
scsi: deleting disk entry
sda<0>Kernel panic: No device passed to allocate_device()

I realize more details might be necessary, but I'm hoping that the
sector size message alone might indicate what's going on.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Netsite & Protected pages

3. Second disk installation - HELP!!!

4. Recent version of cdar

5. Problem with SCSI disk installation.

6. fetchpop -- multiple hosts..how

7. Large SCSI disk installation problem

8. Problems when boot new kernel 2.5.66 kernel panic

9. hard disk installation problem

10. CD-ROM detected as id "sr0" during boot disk installation

11. Additional disk installation questions

12. Hard disk installation Problem - Mandrake

13. FLOPPY DISK INSTALLATIONS ???