Adventures with ILOM on an X4100

Post by Gary Mill » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:26:27

I've been experimenting with the remote control card on a new X4100
server.  After setting up an SSH connection to the network management
port, I was able to control power to the server and to access the
console with `start /SP/console'.  The BIOS messages were visible
there when the server was restarted.  I notice that they say:

        Press F2 to run Setup (CTRL+E on Remote Keyboard)
        Press F12 to boot from the network (CTRL+N on Remote Keyboard)
        Press F8 for BBS POPUP  (CTRL+P on Remote Keyboard)

Are these keys documented anyplace else?  I was able to press ^E to
enter the BIOS menu.

After that, though, I couldn't do anything.  The arrow keys were seen
as escape by the BIOS, causing it to prompt for exit.  Only the tab
key and return key worked.  Is there a way to navigate in the BIOS
menu?

I gave up at this point and started using the web interface to ILOM
and the java remote console.  Everything worked in the BIOS menu that
way.  I was able to do a complete Custom Jumpstart install of Solaris
10 1/06 over the network, with no interaction required.

However, after that the SSH console stopped working.  Entering `start
/SP/console' only resulted in:

        Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y
        To stop, hit ESC (

and nothing more after that.  With the java remote console running,
`init 6' results in BIOS messages, Grub messages, Solaris boot
messages and finally the CDE login screen all appearing on the java
remote console.  Following a suggestion I found in this newsgroup,
I did `eeprom console=ttya'.  The only result of that was that the
Solaris boot messages disappeared from the java remote console.
Setting it back to `text' restored the messages.

How do I get the SSH console back?  Did the web interface somehow
cause this problem?  I have an X4200 to install next week.  For this
one, I'm going to avoid ever using the web interface.  Maybe that
one will be okay.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Adventures with ILOM on an X4100

Post by Mark » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:58:08

Quote:> I was able to do a complete Custom Jumpstart install of Solaris
> 10 1/06 over the network, with no interaction required.

How did you start this installation off ? Using the PXE boot or a
custom GRUB entry ?

Quote:> How do I get the SSH console back?  Did the web interface somehow
> cause this problem?  I have an X4200 to install next week.  For this
> one, I'm going to avoid ever using the web interface.  Maybe that
> one will be okay.

FWIW - I've only ever used the serial connection, hooked up to a
terminal server. Never had a problem with it, But I recall reading
about others having issues with the network access...

Post by Gary Mill » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:02:52

Quote:>> I was able to do a complete Custom Jumpstart install of Solaris
>> 10 1/06 over the network, with no interaction required.
>How did you start this installation off ? Using the PXE boot or a
>custom GRUB entry ?

Just the PXE boot.  We had this already set up for V20Z servers and
Ultra 20 workstations.  All I had to do was put the X4100's MAC
address into the correct DHCP group and then power-cycle the server.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

1. can't set commitpeding on sun X4100 Integrated Lights Out Manager (ILOM)

Hi,
I try to setup a static IP address of ILOM on a Sun X4100 server,
according to the document,
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/819-1160-1...,
the commands are as the following, x4100 comes with preinstalled
Solaris 10, after the ip address is setup, I can ssh to it and continue
with the installation:

cd /SP/network
set pendingipaddress=129.144.82.26
set pendingipnetmask=255.255.255.0
set pendingipgateway=129.144.82.254
set commitpending=true

I connect the "net management" port to the switch, and set the ip
address, gateway and netmask, but when I try to set commitpending, it
said "invalid command syntax"(please see the following) , I have
checked the document, anyone know the possible reason?,

-> cd /SP/network
/SP/network

-> set commitpending=true
set: Invalid command syntax

-> show /SP/network

  /SP/network
    Targets:

    Properties:
        commitpending = (Cannot show property)
        ipaddress = (none)
        ipdiscovery = (none)
        ipgateway = (none)
        ipnetmask = (none)
        macaddress = (none)
        pendingipaddress = 10.0.0.10
        pendingipdiscovery = static
        pendingipgateway = 10.0.0.1
        pendingipnetmask = 255.255.255.0

    Commands:
        cd
        set
        show

-> cd /
-> set /SP/network pendingipnetmask=255.255.255.0
Set 'pendingipnetmask' to '255.255.255.0'

-> set /SP/network commitpending = true
set: Invalid command syntax

Thanks,

Clay

2. vga library

3. ILOM: CD-ROM image redirection on Solaris

4. boot net install - and then?

5. Booting Solaris via USB DVD on X4100

6. xpdf for redhat version 7.1 using KDE

7. Console via ILOM on X4200?

8. Problems with Motif ELF and Slackware 3.0

9. Anybody using an ILOM console with an X4200?

10. X4100 Solaris 10 01/06 Jumpstart installation problems

11. Redirecting X4200 ILOM CD device

12. Jumpstart X4100 w/ Sol10 01/06

13. My Linux Adventure