Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Post by Michael Sweede » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:16:03

I have a client with a Solaris 2.51 workstation used as a mail server with
an open relay problem. We have decided to upgrade to Solaris 8, which we
understand has better features for the prevention of spamming. I has vast
SCO/AT&T/NCR and other System V experience, but very little Solaris
experience. I am seeking general info on the upgrade, such as:
Will Solaris 8 overlay 2.51, or must it be installed from scratch?
Will user account/sendmail/networking, etc. need to be reconfigured?
Does Solaris 8 require much more resources that 2.51 such as memory, disk
space, CPU power?
Thank you very much,
Michael

Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Post by D. J. Hagber » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:42:09

Quote:>I have a client with a Solaris 2.51 workstation used as a mail server with
>an open relay problem. We have decided to upgrade to Solaris 8, which we
>understand has better features for the prevention of spamming. I has vast
>SCO/AT&T/NCR and other System V experience, but very little Solaris
>experience. I am seeking general info on the upgrade, such as:
>Will Solaris 8 overlay 2.51, or must it be installed from scratch?

I believe not.  Sun's upgrade path was 2.5.1 -> 2.6 -> 7 -> 8
or                                               +--------> 8

So you will need to upgrade to 2.6 first if you want to use Sun's
Solaris Upgrade procedure.

Quote:>Will user account/sendmail/networking, etc. need to be reconfigured?

Sendmail, yes, to some extent.  Sun's upgrade procedure preserves
account and networking settings pretty well.

Quote:>Does Solaris 8 require much more resources that 2.51 such as memory, disk
>space, CPU power?

Yes, if you install *everything* that comes with 8.  Probably
comparable if you do a minimal install, which would be the suggested
route on an internet mail server.

= - =

The cleanest, most secure option would be to perform backups, esp.
of the passwd/group/shadow/hosts information, wipe the machine clean,
perform a *minimal* installation of Solaris 8 *without* sendmail.

Then install postfix (or qmail depending on your preference).
postfix has the benefit of being a bit more sendmail-compatible
and easier-to-understand.  qmail is possibly more scalable if
you move hundreds of thousands of mail messages per day.
http://www.postfix.org/
http://www.qmail.org/

Both postfix and qmail have been engineered from-the-ground-up
to be secure.  The same cannot necessarily be said of sendmail.

                        -=- D. J.

Post by Mike Mille » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:02:20

Quote:> I have a client with a Solaris 2.51 workstation used as a mail server with
> an open relay problem. We have decided to upgrade to Solaris 8, which we
> understand has better features for the prevention of spamming. I has vast
> SCO/AT&T/NCR and other System V experience, but very little Solaris
> experience. I am seeking general info on the upgrade, such as:
> Will Solaris 8 overlay 2.51, or must it be installed from scratch?
> Will user account/sendmail/networking, etc. need to be reconfigured?
> Does Solaris 8 require much more resources that 2.51 such as memory, disk
> space, CPU power?
> Thank you very much,
> Michael

Any upgrade you do will not necessarily fix your sendmail problem. You
can get lots of info at www.sendmail.org on how to fix the relay problem.
You also don't need to upgrade Solaris, just replace sendmail with a
newer version, also from Sendmail.org.
--
Michael Miller
General Dynamics - Electronic Systems

"If all else fails - READ THE DIRECTIONS"

Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Post by Michael Sweede » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:11:41

I wanted to just upgrade sendmail, but there is no compiler on this system.
I am more familiar with SCO Unix than Solaris, and I know that a c compiler
for SCO must be purchased separately. Is this also true of Solaris 2.51, or
is a license for the compiler included but perhaps just not installed?
Thank you for your help.
Michael

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:25:17

>I wanted to just upgrade sendmail, but there is no compiler on this system.
>I am more familiar with SCO Unix than Solaris, and I know that a c compiler
>for SCO must be purchased separately. Is this also true of Solaris 2.51, or
>is a license for the compiler included but perhaps just not installed?

You can download gcc from http://www.sunfreeware.com to compile
sendmail.  But the computer must have the header files and libraries
installed (SUNWCprog or SUNWCall when initially installed, or the
packages added later).

If you want to go through with upgrading to Solaris 8, you may want
to just get another disk and do a new install of Solaris 8 on the
new disk (it helps if you have another otherwise identical computer
to do the install on).  Then you'll have a bigger disk, be able to
repartition if needed, and will still have the old disk with Solaris
2.5.1 to use (to continue service and as a reference of configuration)
while you are configuring the new disk with Solaris 8.

Timothy J. Lee

Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Post by Michael Sweede » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:25:51

For header files and libraries, can I get the freeware binutils to cover it?
Quote:> You can download gcc from http://www.sunfreeware.com to compile

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:36:20

>Any upgrade you do will not necessarily fix your sendmail problem. You
>can get lots of info at www.sendmail.org on how to fix the relay problem.

actually, I thought solaris 8 (or 7+patches) sendmail defaulted to not
allowing relaying.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:03:37

>For header files and libraries, can I get the freeware binutils to cover it?

The GNU binutils are tools like ar, ld, nm, etc.  Since most things
on Solaris expect the Solaris ones in /usr/ccs/bin , it is better to
just use those ones (some behavior is different with the GNU versions).

The GNU libc would have the headers and libraries, but again it is
safer and easier to use the Solaris headers and libraries on Solaris.

All of these (the Solaris /usr/ccs/bin tools, headers, and libraries)
should be on the Solaris CD to be pkgadd-ed.  However, the hard part
may be finding which of the packages include all of these things, and
possibly finding disk space for it all.  If that is too much of a problem,
get a new hard drive and install Solaris 8 on it (with SUNWCall cluster
to avoid this type of problem in the future).

Timothy J. Lee

Seeking Tips on upgrade to Solaris 8 from 2.51

Post by Mike Mille » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:41:31

Quote:> I wanted to just upgrade sendmail, but there is no compiler on this system.
> I am more familiar with SCO Unix than Solaris, and I know that a c compiler
> for SCO must be purchased separately. Is this also true of Solaris 2.51, or
> is a license for the compiler included but perhaps just not installed?
> Thank you for your help.
> Michael

I don't know if Sun has changed this for Solaris 8 and above but for
Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7 you had to buy a compiler - it does not come
with the system. 2.5.1 does have all of the other stuff needed (on the
install CD's if not already installed) so all you need is the gcc
compiler mentioned in another post. I personally have replaced/upgraded
sendmail (version 8.11.2 currently) on our 2.5.1 mailserver using gcc and
other free downloads as needed.
--
Michael Miller
General Dynamics - Electronic Systems

"If all else fails - READ THE DIRECTIONS"

1. Solaris 2.51 upgrade

Hello,

I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has already been
posted.  Has anyone experienced any problems upgrading from  Solaris 2.5 to
2.51 on a Sparc5.  The machine I am looking to upgrade is running INN and
BIND primarily and I would like to be as sure as possible that I won't run
into any known problems.

Thanks for Whatever help you can offer.

Marc.

2. Compiling Crack on Solaris 2.6

3. Upgrading Solaris 2.4 -> 2.51?

4. Files Disapearing????

5. Compare Solaris 2.51 against Solaris 2.50 ??

6. vi problem in solaris 2.3

7. upgrade from 2.51 to 2.6 !!

8. mod_javascript for Apache ?

9. Upgrade from 2.51 to 2.6 on E450

10. upgrading from 2.51 to 2.6!!

11. Did you upgrade from 2.51 x86 to 2.6???

12. 2.3 to 2.51 upgrade.

13. Creating Partitions on SOlaris 2.51