BSD dump,rdump,rrestore for Solaris 2.3 wanted

BSD dump,rdump,rrestore for Solaris 2.3 wanted

Post by clau » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm installing the OSU-CIS Backup and Restore System on our SPARCstation 10
(Solaris 2.3) and all of the perl-scripts cry out for dump, rdump and rrestore
binaries (BSD-Style). I've got no idea where to get them, so if anyone has
an idea ... please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Post by James_Mathies » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I'm installing the OSU-CIS Backup and Restore System on our SPARCstation 10
>(Solaris 2.3) and all of the perl-scripts cry out for dump, rdump and rrestore
>binaries (BSD-Style). I've got no idea where to get them, so if anyone has
>an idea ... please let me know!

Did you notice ufsdump and ufsrestore?  They also include rdump/rrestore
function with some extra command line parameters.

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

 >Hi!

 >I'm installing the OSU-CIS Backup and Restore System on our SPARCstation 10
 >(Solaris 2.3) and all of the perl-scripts cry out for dump, rdump and rrestore
 >binaries (BSD-Style). I've got no idea where to get them, so if anyone has
 >an idea ... please let me know!

I believe this is a FAQ.  dump and restore in svr4 are ufsdump and
ufsrestore.  It OSU-CIS does not know that, you probably need to be on the
lookout for other problems.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______

1. Source for dump/restore/rdump/rrestore?

For those of you who saw my previous query regarding how to dump an NFS
partition, I've got my answer.  Basically Sun made a mistake in their
documentation, its not possible.  They told me that they have no plans to do
an rdump/rrestore to go with their dump/restore for the Fuji3480 tape drive.
They sold us half a package and we are getting our money back.

However, this still leaves me high and dry on using the Fuji3480 for backups.
What we would like to do now is write our own version of dump/restore/rdump/
rrestore to use here.  Is it possible to get any source to these utilities?
Sun said 'no' without a source license, then they happily offered to do the
programming for us, onsite (they don't have a drive), for what would run
about $50,000.  Does source exist anywhere in PD form?  If so, where can I
ftp it from?
--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

2. .Net More Expensive Than Once thought

3. rdump equivalent in solaris 2.3

4. ultra/scsi question

5. solaris 2.3 and ultrix rdump

6. wanted....A simple example using setitimer..

7. rdump and rrestore

8. is there a version control system that can do this ?

9. rdump/rrestore on SVR3?

10. rdump/rrestore problem

11. Looking for rdump/rrestore source code

12. rdump/rrestore

13. Need help with rdump & rrestore