Viewing non-global routes from global zone

Viewing non-global routes from global zone

Post by gregmar » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:18:07

I asked this question in Sun's Solaris 10 Forums a few days ago and
didn't get a reply, so I'd like to repose it here:

Is there a command or other mechanism by which one can see non-global
routes from the global zone (other than zlogin)?

It's my understanding that only one routing table can exist per kernel,
hence you cannot create per-zone routing tables, hence you cannot
manipulate the sole routing table from the non-global zone, and hence
you lose routes for non-global zones when they are halted/rebooted.

So with the global's evident * over the routing table, I'm
puzzled as to why a "netstat -rn" from the global zone does not show
routes with IPs in the non-global zones, routes that *are* visible via
netstat in their respective zones.

Thanks
--Greg Chavez

Post by James Carlso » Sun, 22 Jan 2006 02:09:16

> I asked this question in Sun's Solaris 10 Forums a few days ago and
> didn't get a reply, so I'd like to repose it here:

> Is there a command or other mechanism by which one can see non-global
> routes from the global zone (other than zlogin)?

What non-global routes?

Quote:> It's my understanding that only one routing table can exist per kernel,

That's correct.

Quote:> hence you cannot create per-zone routing tables, hence you cannot
> manipulate the sole routing table from the non-global zone, and hence

Correct.

Quote:> you lose routes for non-global zones when they are halted/rebooted.

Not exactly.  There's no way to create routes for non-global zones, so
you can't lose them.

What you can do is create routes in the global zone that have next hop
addresses that are reachable in a non-global zone.  These routes,
though, will still be visible in the global zone (via netstat and
"route get"), but won't be reachable unless you're in the non-global
zone.

Quote:> So with the global's evident * over the routing table, I'm
> puzzled as to why a "netstat -rn" from the global zone does not show
> routes with IPs in the non-global zones, routes that *are* visible via
> netstat in their respective zones.

Ah ... you're talking about interface routes, correct?  You can see
the interfaces with "ifconfig," but there's no option in netstat to
avoid filtering based on zone.  This is the subject of CR 6369726.
Ask your local support to add a call record (SR) to that CR.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

1. patchadd fails on non-global non-sparse non-running zones

Anyone seen this?  I'm pretty sure this used to work.  But I just ran
'smpatch update -L' on a machine with about 6 non-sparse (ie, no
inherit-pkg-dir setting) zones and some of the patches worked, but
some of them failed in the non-running zones.  The log messages
complain about read only filesystem problems, eg:

pkgadd: ERROR: unable to create unique temporary file </usr/lib/inet/inetdC5a4go>: (30) Read-only file system

Also, how do I recover from this?  smpatch thinks the patches are applied,
since it worked in the global zone.

thanks
-frank

2. Seeking CERN proxy filter

3. Problems with remove packages in non-global zone

4. Workarounds and new bugs for 1.3.24

5. solaris 10 pkgadd in non-global zone cpio error

6. Linux and Win95

7. ISC dhcpd in a Solaris 10 non-global zone - working!

8. Backing Up remote drive with SAMBA

9. adding pkgs to non-global zones

10. Advice sought: global zone pkgs vs. local zone pkgs

11. Event Announcement: Internet Global Summit: Global Distruted Intelligence for Everyone