Building a better cron: mail headers

Post by nos.. » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

I would really like to get more control over the way that
cron formats mail message headers.  Yes, I know that I can use
pipes with each crontab entry.  But I don't want to do
this anymore.  It's to time-consuming to maintain.
I want to build a better cron.

I want to explicitly and easily control the To:, Subject: and
From: headers globally, for all cron entries, without using
pipes, wrapper scripts or other odd tricks.

On many of the Solaris machines where I work,
cron doesn't seem to insert a From: header at all.
This is a problem, because the mail relays here
like to insert their own From: header when there is
no existing From: header, and then all the cron messages
appear to come from the mail hub.

I am planning to patch vixie cron to use on BSD systems.
But what can I do on Solaris?   Can I use vixie cron
on Solaris?  Has anyone else ever attempted to do this before?
Is cron more configurable than I think, and am I
missing something?

I'd be grateful for any comments.
--
##--------------------------------
##  John Nolan

Post by Dom Mitchel » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> I am planning to patch vixie cron to use on BSD systems.
> But what can I do on Solaris?   Can I use vixie cron
> on Solaris?  Has anyone else ever attempted to do this before?
> Is cron more configurable than I think, and am I
> missing something?

Vixie cron may well work, and another one to look at is Dillon cron,
http://www.backplane.com/FreeSrc/
--
Dom Mitchell          -- Palmer & Harvey McLane

1. how to redirect system mail (particularly, cron mail) to a network mail address?

on a server with solaris 8, nis and dns, where network mail functions
(i can use the 'mail' command to send myself messages to my internet

messages to the network mail address for each user.

what i would like to do is to have mail automatically append the

in /var/mail for network users of my local server. does anyone know
how to do this?

btw, looking at some of these cron mail messages, they suggest cron

"alias" issue, but i can't figure out how to get it to work.

much, much thanks to smart person out there.

2. System halted - or is it? (2.4.19-pre10-ac2)

3. Modify Cron mail subject from displaying "Output from Cron"

4. virtualhost logging

5. Getting Mail headers without mail prog???

6. INET: tcp.c: *** bug send_list out of order

7. Is a newsreader comparable to Free Agent available for Linux

8. Getting Mail headers without mail prog?? - pine

9. Getting Mail headers without mail prog???

10. can i build a mail server that can build class based groups?