Remote printer problems

Post by Kyle Forbe » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Perhaps someone out there has solved or known this problem that we are
experiencing with solaris and our sun printers.  We have around 8 Sparcs
connected to the network.  On one of them is connected a Sun printer, and this
station is used as the printer server for that printer.

  Now, all other workstations contain a printer entry for this printer, and the
printer server specified as the remote station to handle print jobs -- nothing
odd there.  However, we are only able to print from 2 or 3 of the computers.
It seems that, at one time before I came here, all of them worked.

  I have isolated the problem, but I am not sure how to fix it.  The problem is
that lpsched and LpNet cannot seem to contact the print server from the
non-working workstations.  When I send a print job and check lpstat -p <printer
name>, it gives me two entries.  The first is:  Job blah blah has finished.
The second is the print job I just sent.  The error logs indicate that the
socket is busy.  Therefore, it seems to me that for some reason, the
workstation sending the job cannot talk to the remote print server and seems to
think there is still some job being eternally handled.

  Any ideas?

                                        - Kyle

                           Kyle M. Forbes
                        Systems Administrator

        Center for Advanced Land Management Information Technologies
                              (CALMIT)

[...]

1. Remote printer problems using bsdlpd

I am trying to print over a network to a remote printer.  I am using
bsdlpd which came with the latest slackware distribution.  I have a
local printer working to a certain extent already.  By that I mean that
I can print text through it.  The printcap file I am using is included
below.  When I try to enable the remote printer by typing "up brlw1" in
lpc, I get the message "unknown printer brlw1"  I have created a queue
directory for it in the place specified in printcap.  I have also tried
using the same printcap without the colons at the beginning of every
line.  The machine name and printer name are correct.  I have heard that
bsdlpd requires a device called lp to operate, so I made a soft link to
/dev/null called lp.  I have of course killed and restarted bsdlpd every
time I made a change.  I am using kernel version 2.0.33 with all the
important other stuff like gcc from the newest slackware distribution.
If anyone has an idea about how I can fix this, please email me at

time.

lp|printer|DJ672:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/DJ672LP1:sh:mx#0:if=/usr/local/bin/deskjet-filter:

brlw1:\
:lp=:\
:rm=lpd.rh.uchicago.edu:\
:rp=brlw1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1/errs:

2. Problems compiling qt-1.44 on iMac LinuxPPC-R4

3. Remote Printer problem

4. help: mounting floppy

5. lp printing to remote printer problem

6. Xlock don't lock very much

7. Remote printer problem

8. Numbering levels in StarOffice

9. remote printer problem