DOS commands under Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Werner Grein » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks

On System V Unixes there s a family of commands
to interact with DOS files/media, like
/usr/bin/dosls     list contents of DOS diskette
/usr/bin/doscp     copy files to/from DOS diskette

On Solaris 2.5.1 I can find only  dos2unix   (convert files from
DOS to unix )

Are there any equivalents to these dosls/doscp/... commands ?

Or to put the question in another way :
How can I read a DOS diskette within a ksh-Script ?

TIA
werner

Post by Dan Anders » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>On System V Unixes there s a family of commands
>to interact with DOS files/media, like
>/usr/bin/dosls     list contents of DOS diskette
>/usr/bin/doscp     copy files to/from DOS diskette
>On Solaris 2.5.1 I can find only  dos2unix   (convert files from
>DOS to unix )
>Are there any equivalents to these dosls/doscp/... commands ?

Use the GNU mtools package, with commands like mls or mcopy or mdir.
Available at your favorite Solaris freeware site, such as
http://www.sunfreeware.com/
-
Dan Anderson          anderson

California, USA     computer.org

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>On System V Unixes there s a family of commands
>to interact with DOS files/media, like
>/usr/bin/dosls     list contents of DOS diskette
>/usr/bin/doscp     copy files to/from DOS diskette

>On Solaris 2.5.1 I can find only  dos2unix   (convert files from
>DOS to unix )
>Are there any equivalents to these dosls/doscp/... commands ?

If you mount the disk using Solaris's pcfs (which it will do
automatically if you're running vold), then you can just use the normal
unix ls, cp, etc. commands.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Post by Charles Stephen » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

 WG> On System V Unixes there s a family of commands
 WG> to interact with DOS files/media, like
 WG> /usr/bin/dosls     list contents of DOS diskette
 WG> /usr/bin/doscp     copy files to/from DOS diskette

 WG> On Solaris 2.5.1 I can find only  dos2unix   (convert files from
 WG> DOS to unix )

 WG> Are there any equivalents to these dosls/doscp/... commands ?

 WG> Or to put the question in another way :
 WG> How can I read a DOS diskette within a ksh-Script ?

Unless you have configured your system otherwise, the volume manager
can mount your DOS floppy and use regular UNIX commands (like ls, cp,
etc).

From the commandline...

* Insert floppy
* Run 'volcheck'
* 'cd /floppy/floppy0'          (Look at /floppy, you will notice that
                                 floppy0 is just symlink to the volume name)
* Do regular UNIX commands.

From CDE...

* Lanch the file manager (or type dtfile from the command line)
* Go to the File|Open Floppy menu choice.
* Drag and drop until you drop.

From Openwin...

* Run file File Manager (or type filemgr from the command line)
* Go to the File|Check For Floppy menu choice
* Drag and drop until you drop

Solaris 2.6 understands the new fancy Win95 extended FAT filesystem
(ie, long file names).  Neato.

cfs
--

Software Engineer                 =
Solaris Network Sustaining        = "Take only as directed.  If rash develops,