urgent: NFS problem

Post by David Pe » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:59:00

We have about 80 sun workstations in this site. This morning I found 3
stations have NFS problem.
The station can't cd to /home/usrname. in /var/adm/messages, I find
such errors:

NFS fsinfo failed for server servername : error 5 (RPC: Timed out)
NFS server servername not responding still trying
automountd[###]: Mount of servername: /home/username on
/home/username: Connection timed out.

I try to restart nfs.client in client, restart nfs.server in server,
finally i even restart the client station. However, the problem still
is not resolved.

Any suggestion is highly welcome, thanks in advance!

Regards,

David Penn

urgent: NFS problem

Post by WaMa » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 00:45:58

Is anything specific to those workstations?
Network, apps...etc.

Wama.

> We have about 80 sun workstations in this site. This morning I found 3
> stations have NFS problem.
> The station can't cd to /home/usrname. in /var/adm/messages, I find
> such errors:

> NFS fsinfo failed for server servername : error 5 (RPC: Timed out)
> NFS server servername not responding still trying
> automountd[###]: Mount of servername: /home/username on
> /home/username: Connection timed out.

> I try to restart nfs.client in client, restart nfs.server in server,
> finally i even restart the client station. However, the problem still
> is not resolved.

> Any suggestion is highly welcome, thanks in advance!

> Regards,

> David Penn

urgent: NFS problem

Post by Venkat » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 10:17:20

I would first check the network ... to make sure the speed/duplex etc
etc..
and also would like to know what time does  this happen?? is the
server too busy  to respond to requests ?? overloaded ??

are they hard monted ?? soft mounted ??

nfsstat shows what ??

We had lots of isses in on of my projects where we had consolidated
more than 200 clients to TWO E4500 multi honed each on each server and
they were for the Trading Floor..

Also i sggest the nis/nfs book by oreiley .. they have a good section
on how to finetune nfs ...

I would start with the network and then the Capacity/load on the NFS
server

if you can reboot those two client do they come up well ??

Cheers

/v

Venkat D .................................
Sun Solaris Admin ..

Passing through the Solar System .. Gald you are too .....:-)

> Is anything specific to those workstations?
> Network, apps...etc.

> Wama.

> > We have about 80 sun workstations in this site. This morning I found 3
> > stations have NFS problem.
> > The station can't cd to /home/usrname. in /var/adm/messages, I find
> > such errors:

> > NFS fsinfo failed for server servername : error 5 (RPC: Timed out)
> > NFS server servername not responding still trying
> > automountd[###]: Mount of servername: /home/username on
> > /home/username: Connection timed out.

> > I try to restart nfs.client in client, restart nfs.server in server,
> > finally i even restart the client station. However, the problem still
> > is not resolved.

> > Any suggestion is highly welcome, thanks in advance!

> > Regards,

> > David Penn

1. URGENT: NFS problem

I am the administrator of about 80 solaris 2.6/2.8 unix workstation.
Recently there is curious things happened frequently.
The error is: sometime one user reported to me that when he login, he
can't find home. The solution is simple, just restart yp(i use nis),
and restart autofs, problem is resolved.
Such problem happened before occasionally, about once per week. But
the same problem occured again and again these two days. I even can't
response to it promptly. Thus, i have to search the bug.
in /var/adm/messages, i found error message as below:
================================
station1 automountd[183]: [ID 543504 daemon.error] station2:/local
server not responding: RPC: Timed out
station1 nfs: [ID 333984 kern.notice] NFS server server1 not
responding still trying
station1 nfs: [ID 664466 kern.notice] NFS getattr failed for server
server1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out)
station1 nfs: [ID 664466 kern.notice] NFS getattr failed for server
server1: error 27 (RPC: Received disconnect from remote)
station1 last message repeated 2 times
================================
There is no obvious change for our hardware or software these days. We
share all /local of stations, and server1 above is NIS server, which
has no load else except for NIS server use.
pls help me! or give me some suggestion to detect the problem. Thanks
in advance!

Regards,

David Penn

2. XF86 4.2.0 !!!

3. Urgent!NFS problems !!!

4. modem hangup ,can't dial to internet.

5. ftp problem/urgent/urgent/urgent

6. Suse 8.0 S3 Virge Problems

7. ftp/urgent/urgent/urgent

8. Please READ and HELP ME!!!

9. URGENT URGENT URGENT

10. NFS Problems (URGENT! PLEASE HELP!)

11. NFS-Problem, urgent

12. URGENT! Questions about NFS and RPC???

13. Urgent: Kernel change in the nfs module