Setting modem and ppp on Solaris 2.7

Post by Martin Gilchris » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:36:15

Hi, I'm trying to install a modem and PPP on a Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.7,
and have not been successful. I have installed the ppp packages and can talk
to the modem using tip. Using tip, I can dial out to my ISP and get a
successful login there. However, if I now start asppp and try to ping a
remote machine nothing happens. I think I must have missed a step, but can't
work out what it is.

As an alternate approach, I followed the instructions on the Kempston Web
site to set up dial-out to an ISP. These include editing three fielas in
etc/uucp: Devices, Dialers, and Systems. In Dialers I have a line:

hayes =,-, "" P_ZERO "" \d AT&F1\r OK ATDT\T\r\c CONECT

and when I watch the tail of /var/adm/log/asppp.log, I can see that the
Dialers script is being called, but I see:

sendthem(AT&F1^M^M)
expect: (OK)
^MAT&F1^M^Mtimed out

Something must be going wrong at this point, but I don't understand what.

Any help appreciated! Thanks, Martin

Post by Greg Andre » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:44:36

>Hi, I'm trying to install a modem and PPP on a Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.7,
>and have not been successful. I have installed the ppp packages and can talk
>to the modem using tip. Using tip, I can dial out to my ISP and get a
>successful login there. However, if I now start asppp and try to ping a
>remote machine nothing happens. I think I must have missed a step, but can't
>work out what it is.

>As an alternate approach, I followed the instructions on the Kempston Web
>site to set up dial-out to an ISP. These include editing three fielas in
>etc/uucp: Devices, Dialers, and Systems. In Dialers I have a line:

>hayes =,-, "" P_ZERO "" \d AT&F1\r OK ATDT\T\r\c CONECT

>and when I watch the tail of /var/adm/log/asppp.log, I can see that the
>Dialers script is being called, but I see:

>sendthem(AT&F1^M^M)
>expect: (OK)
>^MAT&F1^M^Mtimed out

>Something must be going wrong at this point, but I don't understand what.

What happens when you tip to the modem port and type "AT&F1" and
press Return?  Does the modem reply with "OK"?

Some modems are (wrongly) silent after you tell them to reset themselves
to factory defaults.

Some modems have a factory default that contains the "Q1" setting, which
prevents the modem from replying with "OK" or "CONNECT".

The chat script you posted as several problems with it.  It sends an
unnecessary extra Return after the "AT&F1", unnecessary "\r\c" codes
after "ATDT\T", and a misspelled "CONNECT" message.

What was wrong with the hayes entry that was already in the Dialers file?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Setting modem and ppp on Solaris 2.7

Post by Mike Man » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:53:55

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:36:15 -0700, "Martin Gilchrist"

>Hi, I'm trying to install a modem and PPP on a Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.7,
>and when I watch the tail of /var/adm/log/asppp.log, I can see that the
>Dialers script is being called, but I see:

>sendthem(AT&F1^M^M)
>expect: (OK)
>^MAT&F1^M^Mtimed out

tip will default to talking to the modem at 300 bps whereas your asppp
configuration may well have been set up to use 115200 bps.  The SS 20
isn't capable of 115200 bps acrosss the serial port so tip will work
but the chat script won't.

If this is the case, try reducing the speed to 38400 in
/etc/uucp/Systems.

Regards, Mike.

--
Solaris on Intel: http://www.kempston.net/solaris/

1. setting up .rhosts file on Sun Solaris 2.7

I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would like to
set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each others entries so
that I can access both servers to copy using rcp or execute remote shell
without supplying passwords. I tried setting up both files but am not
able to do rcp successfully. Both are Sun Solaris 2.7. I would
appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
 Rahul

2. 3C905B-TX and Intel AL440LX under Linux

3. Problem with STL set on Solaris 2.7 SC 5.0 compilers

4. SHMMAX, etc., for Oracle8 on Linux: Where to change?

5. Solaris 2.7 and Multilink PPP

6. Upgrading Linux

7. Cable Modems & Solaris 2.7

8. How to use features of new motherboard?

9. Internal 3com/USR modem, Solaris 2.7, tip, no response, /dev/cua2

10. PPP dial-in on Solaris 2.6 & 2.7

11. Install prob with ppp-2.3.8 on a sparc solaris 2.7

12. can I install ab Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 2.7 x86

13. Jumpstart for Solaris 2.5.1 versus Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8